• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bucephalandra Challenge

@TBRO I think it is tannins. I think I need to cut the branch on the branch on the far right hand side and move the whole branch to the right. Need to screw up my courage to do this and wait for the Bucephalandra clumps attached to it to grow more. Thanks for the advice.

Finally found a potted Bucephalandra Deep Purple in a pot (thanks Steve at Aquarium Gardens) and have planted it out. After four attempts at growing in-vitro perhaps this time I will be able to keep it alive! I have planted the main clump into moss and a small sprig into the substrate. The picture is just after planting.

Also realised that the Buecephalandra leaves of the plant that I bought from @bloskas are iridescent.
20190411_171936.jpg
20190413_235630.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The emergent feel seems to have worked out ok so far and the Buce seem to like the shaded area underneath the Lily. Interestingly the Lily pads have started to grow as emergent pads outside the water and the plant has increased the size of the pads significantly and reduced the number of pads. I guess this is because of the increased access to C02. While the Buce are surviving and putting out new leaves I can't see the growth that I want. I think I need to go for a paludarium approach to replicate the natural environment for Buce. While I love the ADA Dooa Terra with Mistflow (which would be ideal) it's completely out of budget. Inspired by @Matt @ ScapeEasy's latest video I will have a go with a DIY approach. So I am on the lookout for a shallower tank, have bought the perspex for the sides and a mistmaker on Aliexpress... will buy a small pump. I don't have Matt's DIY skills, however, want to see if I can make something work

Two learning points for me with this tank were:

Having two tanks running - one with ADA Africa and ADA root tabs and this one as a dirted tank (following the instructions on the forum) it seem that this that the cheaper option for substrate works far better.

Adding in dense planting from the planter with a bit of an overhang seems to have provided a breeding environment for the Yellow Shrimp that I bought from @ Steve Buce. I have had a population explosion of literally hundreds of them roaming the tank.

20190728_183931.jpg

Back