• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Bucephalandra/Crypt Bins!

G H Nelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Crew
Not as elaborate as Wooki's great effort:thumbup:
Here is both my little efforts started November 2021.
5 litre food containers.
Amazon product ASIN B00IECGIL6Lights Amazon product ASIN B01IQUPCOESubstrate Amazon product ASIN B00JMABYUO

Buce Bin
Substrate:
Fluval Stratum
Plants:
A selection of Buce, Red Root Floater, Mini Coral Moss, Mini Christmas Moss, Anubias petite, Anubias paxing, Pogostemon helferi.

Fertilizer one or two Osmcote balls in the substrate just underneath the roots.
Foliage feed 0.5 grams of High K Solufeed in 2 litres of De - Ionsed water.

Foliar spray is done in the morning before lights on and also when I take the lid off to air the container for a few minutes.
Sprayed three times a day.

Crypt Mixed Bin
Substrate:
Fluval Stratum, Dennerle Deponit Black, and some old Tropica soil!
Plants:
Crypts Flamingo,Beckettii "Petchii",Nurii,Albida
Red Root Floater, Helanthium Quadricostatus, Pogostemon helferi, Hygrophila corymbosa 'Compact'
Bucephalandra's Mini Catherine, Biblis, Ulysses, Red

When the water level gets too high I will drain the tub using an airline hose.....then start the spraying regime all over again!
3 Mini Catappa leaves in each bin.
No invitro plants.
No heater.

Mini Buce Bin and Crypts .jpg

Crypt Bin..jpg

Crypt Bin 3.jpg
:thumbup: hoggie

Last edited:
Hi Toby
Lights on about 12 hours....I vary the %
10% up to about 75% for about 3 hours, then reduce down to 10% in the evening around 7pm for a couple of hours!
hoggie

Nice set up.

I'm growing the Crypt Nurii "Rosen Maiden" I got from you emersed. It's doing really well and has grown 3 new leaves. That's one per month 😂
Hopefully it will get large enough so you can get plantlets!:happy:
:thumbup:

Hi Folks
One month on....little Up-date!
Drained both the bins this morning....nothing sinister to report, other than a few black flies, but they seem to have vacated the premises!
Everything continues to grow slowly....this is probably down to temperature fluctuations over the last few weeks although my home never gets below 19 degrees!
Two new Bucephalandra in the bin!
Bottom left-hand Image.....Mini Bucephalandra.
Top right-hand Image.....Aqua Arctica.
Buce Box Mix 20th Feb 2020..jpg

Mixed Bin
Mixed Emersed Tub 20th Feb 2022.jpg

hoggie

The Buce Bin is Fluval Stratum.
The Mixed Bin is a mixture of Stratum, Dennerle Deponit Black, and some old Tropica soil!
Some Crushed Lava rock down the sides on the surface and around some of the Bucephalandra.

The black flies are most likely fungus gnats as they love moist soil. I've had them when I over water houseplants, so they will love your buce bins.

Really loving these emersed projects.

The Buce Bin is Fluval Stratum.
The Mixed Bin is a mixture of Stratum, Dennerle Deponit Black, and some old Tropica soil!
Some Crushed Lava rock down the sides on the surface and around some of the Bucephalandra.
Do the Bucephalandra get planted into the soil/ substrate, or are they wedged between the lava rock?

This is my next project I reckon - thanks for sharing Hoggie.

Do you think I could spread out the contents of a Tropica 1,2-grow pot of Buce Kedagang in a setup like this? Or would such small plants struggle in an airy, inert substrate?

Do the Bucephalandra get planted into the soil/ substrate, or are they wedged between the lava rock?
Hi Edward
The longer roots I push into the substrate...trying to leave the rhizome on the surface!
The smaller Buce pieces I try to wedge them into spaces between the crushed lava rock.

This is my next project I reckon - thanks for sharing Hoggie.

Do you think I could spread out the contents of a Tropica 1,2-grow pot of Buce Kedagang in a setup like this? Or would such small plants struggle in an airy, inert substrate?
Hi Jack
Plant size doesn't matter... it's keeping moisture up that is the priority....with the occasional airing of the bins!
I wouldn't use inert substrate....something like old Tropica soil/powder might be okay!

Hi Jack
Plant size doesn't matter... it's keeping moisture up that is the priority....with the occasional airing of the bins!
I wouldn't use inert substrate....something like old Tropica soil/powder might be okay!
I would mix it with some gravel/grit to help get some air into the substrate!

Hi Edward
The longer roots I push into the substrate...trying to leave the rhizome on the surface!
The smaller Buce pieces I try to wedge them into spaces between the crushed lava rock.
Hi @GHNelson.

Interesting stuff. I take it that this would also be the same for all epiphyte’s? Ie anubius, ferns etc?

Back