• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Lovely World of Bucephalandra!

Wow, this one and pangolino are my favorites, love the long and pointy shape.

Both occur sometimes as "natural" variation, when you grow Anubias barteri var. nana var. petite...........
- I suspect some of the chemicals or some of the hormones used at some of the laboratories are causing these variations ;) .

I saw this lovely little anubias last week on facebook.. :) I have a load of nana petite growing in my tanks, i indeed see some leaves having a more narrow leafshape than other of same age... That plant in last photo from above also has a few more oval leaves in it.. But still it a beautifull clone baby.. :)

Yep - A. barteri is obviously a specie very capable of variations.
I have another A. barteri v. nana v. petite even smaller then these. Leaves resemble those of a rosemary-bush. It really is not pretty, but it's very small !

It reminds me a bit of the Buce mini Catharina, which i bought half a year ago.. A lot darker and growing a lot slower. But still prefer that buce if i had to make a choise. More color variation an more consitency in form. I hope they get cheaper over time. A tank full of buce are still a terror attack on the bank account.. :)

I just came across some 'green velvet' bucephalandra at my LFS for what seems like a steal. £3.99 — same as their other potted plants. "Are you sure you've priced these right?" "Yes—I can charge you more if you'd like." "Ahahaha, no, that's fine."

My tank's low tech, and I'm preparing to plant it up with substrate when I've got more money, but I have lots of driftwood and anubias, so I figured it would be fun to give these a go.

I just came across some 'green velvet' bucephalandra at my LFS for what seems like a steal. £3.99 — same as their other potted plants. "Are you sure you've priced these right?" "Yes—I can charge you more if you'd like."
Result :thumbup:.Reckon that was cheaper than they bought it.

Result :thumbup:.Reckon that was cheaper than they bought it.

They're 'Aquafleur' ones! If I remember rightly, the LFS often just request a bunch of plants and sell what their suppliers send (theres been things there which patently aren't aquatic species, and I always feel a bit cheeky pointing that out!) So perhaps the cost to them is absorbed in that, but I do feel pretty lucky! One's quite a large plant as well.

Is Bucephalandra sensitive about snails? In my Buce I often see hols in the leaves. Is the problem snails or a nutrient?
Kurt

Back