• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Budget Black Substrate

mikka23

Looking for a recommendation for a cheap black sand substrate.

My preference:
Sand or smooth gravel suitable for loaches
Black to show greater contrast
Easy to keep clean
Suitable for planting

Im thinking some cheaper material below a layer of more expensive sand may be the best option... 200L low-tech tank if it makes any difference.

Unipac is pretty good. Limpopo is nice too if you're not set on jet black as it's more of a brown/black. Can be slightly expensive though, but depends how deep you want it.

I mixed normal sand with black sand from flourish on the top. For 200l too.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

+1 for unipac Limpopo black. It's dark matt black/grey, is great for my pygmy corys and my crypts are rooting well. The contrast is pretty epic too

A lot of folk in the US use Black Diamond blasting sand, because it's dirt cheap...but I'm not sure it's available in the UK. Maybe Google could help with sourcing an equivalent. I have unipac Limpopo in Cryptic Haven (http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cryptic-haven-low-energy-update-pics.28695/).

9470006827_10ea03e27b_c.jpg

A lot of folk in the US use Black Diamond blasting sand, because it's dirt cheap...but I'm not sure it's available in the UK....

Like this? Ebay item 251480188788

Thanks for the suggestions. Is it recommended to just use the gravel/sand on its own or to have a sublayer of something else (soil, cat litter etc)?

You can, but it's not required. Fert laden water permeates the substrate &roots

I was more thinking to make it even cheaper but any benefits would also be a bonus.

I don't see the need. Maybe if you grow something tricky in the future but with good flow, fert regime, light and maybe co2 you're set. And it's cheaper too:D

Thanks, I will probably have a few other questions along the way. Best to set up a journal rather than post in ever subforum?

You reckon that blast grit is a good option and suitable for loaches (initial research suggests so)?

Seems the most tempting to me (not sure about the colour of Limpopo and obviously price).

Is this a Monty Python sketch in the making? It's getting a little surreal........

Back