• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

bulking eco-complete

soton_dave

put 3 bags in my tank the weekend,but ideally would need another 2-3 bags to get the slope im looking for(but at £25 a bag i just cant afford it).
any opinions on using silica sand as a base to get the general slope then using a gravel tidy over the top(to stop the sand mixing) then the eco-complete over the top of that,it would only be used at the back of the tank and would have a good 3-4cm layer of eco-complete over the top,my main concern is the sand going bad/toxic.

any advice?

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi,
If you grow the plants properly then they will oxygenate the substrate and you shouldn't have a problem. This means plenty of CO2 and nutrients, good maintenance - and lighting levels appropriate for the amount of added CO2.

Cheers,

soton_dave

thanks for the replies :D
would i be better with sand or gravel?
im thinking sand would be best because it would hold the slope better being smaller therefore locking together better,but if i knew i wouldnt be asking this question....lol

gonna be asking more questions in the other sections so any advice on those welcomed

thanks so far dave

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi,
If you want to hold a slope it might be better to hold it with a vertical retaining wall under the substrate. Gravity and flow will take it's toll no matter which material you use.

Cheers,