bulking substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by soton_dave, 2 Aug 2013.

1. soton_dave

soton_dave Member

Im in the process of planning a conversion from marine to planted.the area I've got to play with is 48"x30" id love to be able to go straight in with ada but because of the area i have to cover i think its gonna cost a fortune i want a mound or two in the scape so could i bulk under them with acadam and cover with a gravel tidy then cap with ada or is this asking for problems?

If i was to use acadam capped with ada would it be worth soaking the acadam in ferts before using?

Cheers Dave

2. squid102

squid102 Member

I couldn't find particularly cheap akadama anywhere. It was £16 for a bag with delivery. I was much more impressed with the cheap Tescos cat litter so that might be another option. £3.16 for 10l.

3. Samjpikey

Samjpikey Member

That's exactly what I used , cheap tesco kitty litter capped it with Ada soil , my tank is 1mx30cm , used 1 bag of each .
    I did and I would recommend you to cover the kitty litter with a fine mesh else you run the risk of it making its way to the top over time I used this stuff
    q9xwdSr.jpg

Hope this helps cheers

4. squid102

squid102 Member

Yep. That's the one. I meant £3.19, not £3.16. Needs a bit of rinsing though.

5. Samjpikey

Samjpikey Member

I found it rinses ALOT quicker if done in small amounts at a time :)
    Hope this helps
    Cheers

6. nduli

nduli Member

Agreed it took 4hrs to clean 3 bags worth.......do it in smaller batches :)
    If you are trying to bulk up have you thought about throwing it into some tights then it will stay exactly where you want it?

7. squid102

squid102 Member

Just a thought. If this is going to be used just to bulk out and would be capped by something else, would it need rinsing at all?

8. soton_dave

soton_dave Member

thanks for the replies :D

looks like i'll be using cat litter in tights topped off with ada,what sort of depth capping should i be aiming for?

cheers dave