• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Burn it with fire?! Unknown creature ID

kadoxu

Hi,

Just found this in my Edge and I can't seem to find out what it is... Probably came with the wood or plants.
IMG_20180111_131726.jpg

@zozo @dw1305 you probably know what it is...

Looks like a translucent leech... not sure if such a thing exists... is it stationary? Leeches move like a ribbon through the water.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Hi all,
it stretches and shrinks like a worm, but it attaches to the glass like a snail/slug... don't know how to explain it better.
From what I found out so far, it seems to be a "snail leech" and it eats snails
Definitely a leech, I've never seen one quite like that, but a lot of leeches eat snails. <"Helobdella stagnalis"> looks a likely ID.

The easiest way to find out if it has any "friends" is to put a flat piece of stone on the substrate and take the stone out every morning. Any leeches will have congregated on the stone underside. You can just wash them off under the hot tap.

I've never managed to eradicate them from the tanks, and they are almost universal in fresh water.

cheers Darrel

That's one creepy bugger.. :hungover: But also an intruiging animal, never seen them that transparent before whit all the internals showing. Nasty looking.. Also never found one in my aqauriums till now. But i remember the black ones from the swamp, as a kid i regularly had to pull them from my legs.
leech.jpg

Back