• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bushy epiphyte suggestions

EA James

Hi all,
I have a gap in the scape that I’d like to fill, it’s right in the middle of the tank. The middle of this pic where the cherry barb is.
I’d like something quite bushy and dense that’s going to fill that space nicely and hide the heater from sight. I did have some bolbitis there but it was looking a bit sorry for itself and the leaves were mainly black so it’s gone now.
Any suggestions
24673688-8663-4F56-8442-5E16FEC7CA84.jpeg
CAA541AB-A25A-424F-A74A-1FBEC53C79AF.jpeg
full tank shot for reference 😊

Cheers, James

I've not grown either myself but Ceratopteris thalictroides or Microsorum pteropus Windelov would be my thoughts. Personally I think Windelov has the densest growth of all the Java ferns. Ceratopteris is supposed to grow really fast so it might be a pain to maintain.

Some kind of Java Fern would be my thoughts too or how about a species of Amazon Sword. Check Tropica website could give you some ideas

Ceratopteris is supposed to grow really fast so it might be a pain to maintain.
I don't want that then, I like the ease of my tank as nothing grows fast or needs high maintenance.
Windelov is a good shout though, cheers

how about a species of Amazon Sword
Can these be used as epiphytes then?? I haven't got the option to plant underneath as the wood i have is screwed onto big slate plates

Trident Java fern or dwarf bolbitus, both are small, bushy and slow grower, and can take low light remote from the source.

Trident Java fern or dwarf bolbitus, both are small, bushy and slow grower, and can take low light remote from the source.
I already have trident to the left and the right of that space and i was thinking of that but i want something with a bit more height really. I haven't heard of dwarf bolbitis before, I'll look it up

Never had much success with dwarf bolbitis just seems to fade away!
I don't think it likes being submerged in hard water.

What about Hygrophila pinnatifida.......or some Crypt sp rapped in sponge and a strip of lead.

Hi @james Sorry sort of got thinking what would look good in the tank Amazon Swords like to be in substrate @Hoggies Crypts suggestion could be good one

What about Hygrophila pinnatifida.......or some Crypt sp rapped in sponge and a strip of lead.
I have hard water here so I'll give that a miss. I already have H.Pinnatifida which i love but it doesn't seem to love me! The only leaves left on the stem are growing above the surface, the rest of them have melted away. Strange one really as the stem is still growing in height and the emersed leaves look great. And i have a lid on the tank as well so I can't even see it 😂

Could i use a crypt then? I thought these would need planting? What's the purpose of the sponge?

Hi @james Sorry sort of got thinking what would look good in the tank Amazon Swords like to be in substrate @Hoggies Crypts suggestion could be good one
No worries, I'd love a few swords in the tank but I have hardly any space left for planting so was going to fill it with some smaller crypts of some sort.

Cheers guys 😊

Of course you can use Crypts!
Sponge is just to stop the bruising of the root structure if your going to weigh them down with lead.
Or even superglue the roots to a pebble!
hoggie

Of course you can use Crypts!
Sponge is just to stop the bruising of the root structure if your going to weigh them down with lead.
Or even superglue the roots to a pebble!
hoggie
I didn't know that! Good to know though
There's quite a nice gap in between the two 'branches' so could i just wedge it in the gap?

ok James nice one, let me know when it’s available 👍
Will do mate. You can see in the photo there is a lot of growth on the left hand side, that's where it has sprouted another plant so you'll actually get two! I'll message you once it's out
Hi,
I would suggest suggest Schismatoglottis prietoil. It is very bushy.
I love it! Great suggestion thank you. It looks like a mix between a crypt and a buce!

Cheers

Hi Paul,

It's a Lobelia Cardinalis, I'm actually thinking of removing it from the tank. You can have it if you like?

Cheers
There are two types of dwarf bolbitus. The SE Asian type, heteroclíta, is hard to grow underwater, as it is more a terrestrial fern. The African type, heudelotii, is easy.

Why do you dislike the Lobella. I’m actually wanting to get one. Do you plant it in pot? It’s not an epiphyte.

@tiger15 yes i know i already have Bolbitis Heudelotii, You can see it in the FTS on the top left of the tank, beautiful plant.
It's not that i don't like the Lobelia but I've recently rescaped the right hand side of the tank and I'm going to make some adjustments to the left side now. Where the Lobelia is planted there is a nice little cave behind it and I'm trying to make it look more like an island so I don't really want anything planted in front of the rocks.
Do you plant it in pot?
No it's straight in the sand with a root tab underneath, It's done very well considering my lighting isn't very strong and the tank is 70cm deep!

Cheers

Back