• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

naughtymoose

I know that the buyer should beware, but becoming aware is costly!

My tank is medium light (2xT8), and has recently been set up for CO2 injection.

I've bought plants over the past six months that really were unsuitable, and bought them on the say-so of the shops. My latest was (Rotala macrandra). Told that it would be OK with CO2. Further investigation suggests high light/high CO2.

QUESTION: Where is the definitive source of info on plant requirements?
I've found the Flowgrow site to be useful, but wondered if there are any other suggestions? For terrestrial plants, I'd be starting with the RHS...

Perhaps we could make a sticky of high/low light/CO2 plants?

as far as I've gathered from round here, the point at which plants don't get enough light to grow (light compensation point) is very low, and light intensity only really affects growth rate and colouration. However, I also know that rotala macrandra is one of the most fussy plants going....

I trust the tropica stuff but just ignore the "light requirement." If anything, I interpret it as "light requirement [for growth similar to tropica photos]," rather than minimum light to keep stuff alive. I'm growing wallichii fine under barely any light, but its nowhere near as pretty as their photos (not as red, not as bushy- possibly because I've not trimmed)

The general advise for fish shops for ANY purchase is to get your advise before going to the shop. Plants, fish or equipment I'd be consulting the Web first.

These shops tend to be staffed by inexperienced young staff, or the owner who has a vested interest in selling you X product. Ofcourse there are exceptions to the rule!

Sounds like a good start to me. If you have a google account I would convert it to a google sheet for easy sharing and updates, if not I dont mind hosting it on mine

so you're basically copying the tropica website into a spreadsheet?

I don't really see the value

I was going to see about putting a lot more plants that are available into the sheet. I was also going to try and simplify it down to low/high for both light and CO2.

I'm surprised that there isn't a sticky with this basic information already really.

Tropica and others have great information, but you have to drill through it. If it was a spreadsheet, it could be consulted easily on a phone.

Back