• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Buying Plants

James O

I'll be needing to purchase a load of plants before too long. I'm planning on a basic Amano type mix of Anubias, microsorium, bolbotis and moss.

I can buy most of these in either standard size or XL/mother plant. For example: aqua essential sell anubias nana for £5.50 or an XL version for £15.99. So I could plant one large plant or spread 3 individual plants around to 'grow in'.

The question is, which to buy? Little or large?

Personally part of the attraction for me is the challenge of growing plants on, if that doesn't sound too obviouso_O So I prefer to spend my money on lots of small plants, rather than a few large ones, and watch them grow...it's what George often refers to as delayed gratification:)

It's also a lower risk strategy since if it goes a bit Pete Tong you stand a better chance of rescuing some of your investment. I also think that because smaller plants have more growing to do you don't mind so much if they melt a bit whilst adapting to your unique aquarium conditions.

I'd be tempted to buy the anubias mother plant and cut it up.
I have a large anubias plant in my clown loach tank that needs removing. you can have it for the cost of postage but its a bit tatty, has some GDA and possibly a few snails
Another delayed gratification option is a propagator and grow small pots on, big savings can be had but it takes a bit of time

Delayed gratification :cigar:

This tank is a keeper so growing in isn't really an issue. But I hadn't thought about the safety factor of numerous small plants in case Pete Tong pays a visit.

I tried dividing once before. I can't say for definite, but it corresponded with 'rotting' away of about 10-12 divided anubias plants. They just turned to mush:sick:

Sorry should mention its a low tech tank - my bad

You cut it with a razor blade just after the leaf node, make sure there's enough root growth on the sections you cut. Just don't go crazy. You might of just got a bad batch I've heard once anubias begin to rot it can spread to other anubias. The nana are very easy to cut. Even when I had anubias in my tank when it was low tech it grew pretty quickly, think big water changes was the key to the rate of growth.

The rhizomes are pretty brittle anyway. I usually just snap them at what appears to be a natural break, this also works fine, for me anyway. But like Ender says you still need to be left with good sized plants.

Maybe I was just unfortunate or maybe a noob error.I think I'll go for small plants in big numbers.

That's gonna be a good few in a 6' x 2' :greedy:

I think you end up with better placement and coverage that way as well...I find it easier to visualize how the the scape will look when the plants have grown, so in the long run there is less gardening involved.

Anubias are starting to become available from some suppliers invitro.... havent seen them yet but if anything like other tissue cultures youll get a lot for your money. Might be worth a message to freshwatershrimp :)
There good plants, my local ma used to stock them nice range but expensive would be good to see them in the uk at a more competitive price range.

Last edited:
I've used them for my last two scapes, 1 pot goes a long way, I usually mange to divide it in to 3 or 4 separate plants. I live a stones throw from this place in MK...

20140613_190336.jpg

Legytt's photo, by the way.

Do they represent better value in terms of Size of plant, Health of plant and growth etc? For example for every 3-4 invitro plants I could get an extra standard plant

I haven't seen the anubia invitro as they historically used to get infections in the tissue culture so I think only just coming to market but normal invitro is dramatically better value.
ie: a typical old school stauro repens pot would be 10-15 stems, invitro is 50+ stems, invitro glosso is about 10 normal pots etc...
They are amazing value.

They are small and take slightly longer to settle but are guaranteed pest free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you end up with better placement and coverage that way as well...I find it easier to visualize how the the scape will look when the plants have grown, so in the long run there is less gardening involved.

I think I might have been asking too much about vfm (value for money) of invitro vs standard growth. Troi has hit the nail on the head here talking about placement and coverage. This tank is going to be a keeper with growing in being part of the design plan. Vfm is important but at the same time I'm not expecting to set this one up and be taking images for one of the comps within 6 months. I've kind of subconsciously attached my precious anubias rot/melt to dividing plants up. The thought of loosing 10+ plants again makes my wallet cry :drowning: So I don't think I'll be dividing again for a while :oops:

Back