c.balansae help

Nelson

hi,
got some c.balansae and the leaves just keep crumbling/rotting/melting at the stalks.had it for about 2 1/2 months.got it from another member and it was so healthy.now looking very sad.
2x39w 8hrs
E.I
co2 f.e.
5ml easy carbo a day
what am i doing wrong :(

thanks

Dave Spencer

Provided the water column is well dosed, I would look at CO2.

Some people do experience crypt melt for a while when the plants are newly introduced, but even this can be avoided with good CO2; good being at non limiting levels distributed throughout the tank.

Dave.

a1Matt

Dave Spencer said:
Some people do experience crypt melt for a while when the plants are newly introduced, but even this can be avoided with good CO2; good being at non limiting levels distributed throughout the tank.Dave.

Agreed.
IME Balansae are quite prone to Crypt melt more so than any other crypt I have kept (which is about 6 or so species).
Not just upon introduction, but also when any other water parameters are changed. (eg dosing levels etc.)

Nelson

hi,
co2 is at my maximum.nearly gassed my fish a couple of weeks back.have put my drop checker next to the crypts and lime green verging on yellow.
i know i need more flow but they are under my spray bar and moving in the flow and i think theres enough co2 as per above.

thanks

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
Staff member
A good way to test your theory is to move the plant to various locations in the tank and see what kind of response you get after a few weeks. For example, move it to the very front.
Also, how early before lights on does the gas come on?

Cheers,

Nelson

hi clive/guys,
co2 comes on 1 1/2 hours before lights.i'll try 2 hours.
mmm..don't think i'm prepared to move it around.too much roots everywhere. :bored: