• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

C. Crispulata var Balansae (tropica in vitro) - not growing?

Carbon is king! It is needed to sustain life ‘all of it’, availability or lack off determines all growth. Consumption of Carbon Hydrate keeps everything alive, increase it’s availability and you can build structure or if in excess you can store it for times of potential famine and get fat (I know I do). Remove a source of Bio Available Carbon and the resulting effect is reduction in stores, remove it all or reduce it below levels that are needed by life processes to just tick over you get tissue destruction, if your body plan is a centralised network around a main component when that fails it all fails (Animals), if your body plan is a more distributed network (Plants) then you can resorb or sacrifice the distributed parts to save the the distribution network.

If the inundated Crypt in the puddle (closed system) loses access to atmospheric CO2 it will sacrifice those parts that can no longer serve function to uptake Carbon and only remain to deplete resources further by maintaining them, the Carbon in those leaves is not lost to the plant they will be resorbed through the root structure once the tissue decays, when the roots receive this pulse of Carbon it can then regrow leaves suitable for their current environment. When the period of inundation ends the plant has access to more Carbon and as such can get fat!

Crypts in a continual replacing body of water like a river (open system) need good access to Carbon through the roots when inundated, the ones that have the hardest time in this system are the those that are grown epilithically, they rely entirely on interstitial soils to keep them alive (accumulated dead plants in the cracks of rocks) or lacking interstitial spaces using accumulated Bio Available Carbon based debris caught in a mass of root structure.

In order to know what’s going on inside a Black Box you either need to open it or provide it with predictable information that you can then infer the process of internal operation. Sometimes you just need to take it apart!

:)

Hi all,
I Suspect it may be because the Osmo is a terrestrial fert and it's something to do with the ammonium compounds in there
From my, not very scientific, playing around with "Miracle Gro" you definitely seem to get a very quick growth response when you <"add ammonia and urea">.

cheers Darrel

Not sure about these sp of crypts but l can remember getting some plants on line and a reasuring message that the crypts ( well known nursey supplier ) would melt likely but recover and they did that and looked great when new leaves grew. Aquascaper Juris Jutjajevs actually cuts off all the Tropica emmersed before planting to speed up the process in his CO2 aquariums. C.Parva not to be done this way though.

Remove a source of Bio Available Carbon and the resulting effect is reduction in stores, remove it all or reduce it below levels that are needed by life processes to just tick over you get tissue destruction,
Seems obvious, but actually quite an important point.
I've added c crispatula on 3 separate occasions in to different tanks and never really seen any melting en masse; only dormancy and maybe the odd leaf slowly withering away.
I assume this is down to not being pummelled with light and can survive off its reserves whilst its internal adjustments are made.

Back