• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

C02 bubbles

Rm1997

Seedling
Hi so I’ve recently got into using C02.
One thing I’ve noticed is that I’m getting bubbles coming out of the spray bar.
Just curious to see if anyone knows if this is a problem and how to fix it it’s bugging me lol.
Does this mean C02 is not dissolving properly into the aquarium?
it’s a jbl C02 kit with a 19/25 inline diffuser.
thanks.

Attachments

• 34CB4AC6-7122-4DE2-897B-ED5E44E113C5.jpeg
    34CB4AC6-7122-4DE2-897B-ED5E44E113C5.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 182
That is seen pretty often even worse than this.. But as long as your drop checker turns green in the given time you good to go.
All though, it might be a waste, all that is not dissolved will pop the surface and simply disappear in the atmosphere.

Things you can try is lower the regulators working pressure and see how that goes. If it takes longer to get a green drop checker with lower pressure, than start earlier. :)

Other things you can try is create a greater distance from the diffuser to the outlet, then the bubbles are longer in the tube and have more time to dissolve.

And or create a venturi (Bottleneck) behind the diffuser, this will create a pressure fall behind the venturi and thus will chatter the co² bubble and make it smaller. In very large systems venturi diffusers are known to be most effective. It also works on smaller scale but you have to diy them.

If all that doesn't help i guess it's trying to find a better diffuser.

Too add to @zozo's excellent advice, you could also add a reactor after your diffuser - there are numerous DIY designs on this forum using re-purposed water filter housings or pre-filter canisters. They will essentially increase the contact time between the bubbles and the water, so far fewer bubbles (if any) reach your spray bars.

Back