• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

C02 run out already?

jamesw

My c02 is showing no pressure after 10 days. The bottle weighs 500g. my tank is 400litres. Is it usual for the c02 to run out so quickly? i wouldn't have got it if i new it was goin to run out this fast! It doesnt appear that i have any leaks in the connection points because they look like they are put together well. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi James

What bubble rate are you running?

It is feasible that if you're running 30ppm CO2 in such a large aquarium then you may have used 500g in 10 days, especially if you have decent surface movement and/or are running CO2 24/7.

Most guys with larger aquariums run at least 2Kg CO2 cylinders for this reason.

Double check all of your connections for leaks with soapy water to rule out that.

jamesw said:
It doesnt appear that i have any leaks in the connection points because they look like they are put together well. Any suggestions?

you need to check it properly. rub slightly soapy water around all the connections or anywhere where gas could possibly escape. see if they produce a leak. often the O ring perishes (where the reg connects to the bottle) sometimes you wouldn't even realise it....it's that slow a leak.

500g is small for 400L but should last longer than that (not much mind)I'd of thought even 24/7. if you are planning on using 500g I'd get a solenoid fitted. to more than double your co2

yea i have solenoid, its only on for 8 and a half hours every day, i keep the level green on the drop checker. But i do have surface agitation, i dont know whats classed as a lot and what isnt though. Could someone explain the soapy water method please? Would i be able to change the bottle then? its a JBL flora m602 system. Thanks

jamesw said:
yea i have solenoid, its only on for 8 and a half hours every day, i keep the level green on the drop checker. But i do have surface agitation, i dont know whats classed as a lot and what isnt though. Could someone explain the soapy water method please? Would i be able to change the bottle then? its a JBL flora m602 system. Thanks

the soapy water method is just putting soapy water on the joints/connections to visibly see if any leaks are present.
i'm pretty sure all the refillable bottle have the same thread so a fire extinguisher is the most economical way to go.

As a guide 600g lasts about 80 days on my 125ltr which would make around 66days for 500g. Would be around 20 days on a 400litre I calculate so not that far off. Not ideal to run small bottles on larger tanks :)

AC

SuperColey1 said:
As a guide 600g lasts about 80 days on my 125ltr which would make around 66days for 500g. Would be around 2 days on a 400litre I calculate so not that far off. Not ideal to run small bottles on larger tanks :)

AC

did you mean 20 days??

So what can i do guys, can i use bigger c02 bottles, if so which ones?!?! running out of c02 every 10 days is a joke!

Thanks

Yes I meant 20 days. I saw and edited it. Then I saw the next post. lol ;)

Is it a disposable bottle setup or refillable. If the latter then you can go the fire extinguisher route. or hire a big BOC bottle. You pay something like £1.50 a month rental and then just pay for refills.

AC

You can use both disposable and refillable. Fire extinguishers are abit dodby arent they lol, wont the fly everywhere if something goes wrong?

well, plenty of ppl do use them and i have not read of any nasty accidents............ yet ;0)

the way i see it they are really no different to using a shop bought co2 bottle for the tank (apart form MUCH MUCH cheaper)
you still have to screw the reg on regardless of what bottle you use!

jamesw said:
You can use both disposable and refillable. Fire extinguishers are abit dodby arent they lol, wont the fly everywhere if something goes wrong?

Any CO2 bottle has the potential to do as you say but that is a very very very rare occurrence. Think of a balloon. It stays still unless you let the gas out very quickly at which point it flies around the room. It is quite hard to do the same to a cannister.

AC

Where can i get nice sized FE's from? Doesnt someone on here sell them? And where can i get them re-filled?

Thanks

I rang this place

Guildford Calor Gas
Location : Farebright Services Ltd, 28 Westfield Rd, Guildford GU1 1RR
Tel: 01483 300 410
Website or http://www.calor.co.uk
Services : sell the 3.9kg bottles (pub bottles) for £15.99 and will take back empties.
Date Added/Updated : Apr 27, 2009

They said that they dont do refills?

Back