• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
That oak is stunning, I hope all goes well with the cabinet build. Tank looks sweet as well. I like what you've done with the different height levels.

Thanks Dan for all the compliments in one :) I will be getting cracked on with it soon! Ive had a few people mention the separate levels, and did this intentionally as something different.

Ive been watching your progress with your fantastic setup. In fact ive been meaning to comment on how well its looking. Its going to be a cracker!

Cheers,

image_zpsad25d8ad.jpg

Climbing High

Lovely woodwork Nath. Quick question on one of your previous experiments - how have you found the colourless spraybar for keeping clean (i.e. looking clean)? I'm thinking of using my next nano as a bit of an aesthetics project, and doing all the pipework etc with colourless acrylic and tubing, just wondering whether I'm going to create something that looks amazing on day 1, but requires huge maintenance to keep it looking that way...

Lovely woodwork Nath. Quick question on one of your previous experiments - how have you found the colourless spraybar for keeping clean (i.e. looking clean)? I'm thinking of using my next nano as a bit of an aesthetics project, and doing all the pipework etc with colourless acrylic and tubing, just wondering whether I'm going to create something that looks amazing on day 1, but requires huge maintenance to keep it looking that way...

Hey Rick,
Hope your well?
Well as it stands I haven't cleaned it for ages, and its due. On the most recent tank photo, its as it is now. Pretty unclean but not really too noticeable.
Its really easy to remove, but I'm just lazy :woot: I was just looking at it tonight, before you posted, thinking maybe give it a clean? then came to my senses and realised it was the Xmas hols :lol:

I'd go for it mate, you won't look back (they also stay cleaner longer than my Lily pipes :shh:)

Have a good Xmas,
Cheers,

All good, I Facebook messaged you a while ago and you ignored me you sod :p. Don't feel like I'm abandoning you just because you haven't sold me anything in a while, you know it's inevitable :p.

Cheers, I'll stick with the plan then, just got to source some acrylic tube and also pvc hosing. The main issue is that postage is more than the cost of the product from most places!

Anyways, Merry Christmas, enjoy the tank over the break :).

Well today has gone well.

Ive got the front stiles and transoms done. There will be a door on the front but that'll be made last of all.

Although it doesn't look much, theres a decent amount of work involved in the manufacture.
Heres the front section together, although not glued or sanded yet, as theres some routering out to do for the panels in the side.

y9ezytuv.jpg
9aguruty.jpg
ure7y2e3.jpg

Edit: although it looks small, its not really an accurate representation, as the cabinet will be 900mm high, which is approximately the same height as a kitchen worktop.

Nice workable height :)

u4egegys.jpg
duqy4ate.jpg

Still no glue, as about to start marking out for the panels in the sides.

Top boards just resting on, to be biscuited together and cleaned up yet.
Top will finish flush with front and side to keep as minimal look as possible:

zevurebu.jpg
ahyhunyh.jpg

Let me know what you think please :D

Wow that looks mint, as the saying goes great minds think alike :)
Its exactly how I am building a 1200x600x800 out of 4x4's in spring.
It will definitley look better with the pannels and door on, talking of which will you be cutting dado's to fix the pannels to the frame ?

Wow that looks mint, as the saying goes great minds think alike :)
Its exactly how I am building a 1200x600x800 out of 4x4's in spring.
It will definitley look better with the pannels and door on, talking of which will you be cutting dado's to fix the pannels to the frame ?

Hey PT,

Was wondering when you were going to pop by.
Thanks very much. I'm happy with the result, considering its nothing like the 'usual' cabinets or even normal furniture.

For fixing the Panels, I will use a router to cut a groove round all 3 sides and the bottom( for a cabinet floor) offset, so that theres only 5mm or so then the groove. This should help keep the look minimal.

not cheap for that quality eh mate my grandads a carpenter so i can appreciate the workmanship nice job mate :thumbup:

Certainly not cheap mate, I was lucky I got some to make this. Wish I'd have done a 4' one though :lol:

Thanks a lot mate. Can't wait to get it finished :)

Hey guys, I know a few of you at least might be interested in the progress of my cabinet, so after 7 hours work today, heres where were at:

Joint up two halves of the top, they then will be planed flat and fitted together. This method should mean When I get the whole piece together as one, there should be very minimal movement, as they will have been planed flat a few times.

u3e3e3et.jpg

I have also routered out all the back and sides and have fitted the Right Hand panel.Still not glued or cleaned up yet!
Its really coming together nicely now:
a6amusah.jpg
adyta2yt.jpg
dy3y2aja.jpg

It really is a substantial cabinet, with a lot of weight since the addition of the boards. Which are 20mm thick. Should look the part :)

Cheers,

Looks great Nath, must be nice to have the knowledge and skills necessary to do this sort of thing, you can't buy that....not without a lot of money anyway!

Back