• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Thanks very much chaps. That's great to hear. I've not decided on what to put in the top left corner as of yet. Still
Thinking a Buceph or two would be really nice and balance the crypts on the bottom right.

I think I'll have to get in touch with Vasteq.

Bllllerrrr, I'm knackered after almost completing cutting / planing and thicknessing oak for cabinet. Will upload some shots of it shortly, although I doubt you'll understand why it's taken me so long to run out (I've been on since 1.30pm with it).

Now time to finish my cupper and finish off machining the timber for the top of the cabinet :)

Top timber :

asa4e6a7.jpg

Nice and thick :D :
py2ezy3e.jpg

y6uzu6as.jpg

Phew! That was a long time machining!
Here we have It all back at my house, making sure it's nice and acclimatised for when I use it in a couple of weeks!

The components are as follows:

Top - side top and bottom stiles ( still to be cut to exact length)

2nd layer: front and back stiles

3rd: Top (where tank sits upon)

Bottom: Cabinet legs

This was machined out of massive sections of oak that we have spare from making king post trusses. I think the timber sizes originally were 11 x 6 inches of European Air dryed oak (Which is an absolute BOMB!!).

Will begin next stage when I get bored of sitting on my blahblahblahblah at Xmas :D

Cheers,

andyh said:
Looking good dude!

Really like the two distinct levels :)

Thanks mate, this means a lot too. I've been actively following your journal & think it looks absolutely amazing. Keep up your good work!

How about some Barclaya longifolia or Alternanthera reineckii in the top left corner ? A nice bushy red plant would look great filling up that corner. Either way the tank looks lush as it is and will look even lusher when the Eleocharis fills out.
Are the leg posts and stiles 3x3 ? They look nice and solid.

Palm Tree said:
How about some Barclaya longifolia or Alternanthera reineckii in the top left corner ? A nice bushy red plant would look great filling up that corner. Either way the tank looks lush as it is and will look even lusher when the Eleocharis fills out.
Are the leg posts and stiles 3x3 ? They look nice and solid.

Hey,
Funnily enough I was questioning whether to add Alternanthera Reineckii mini in between the crypts and the Eleocharis. I think it'll provide a good contrast?
Ideally would like to reserve the upper most section for a 'special' plant :D.

The oak sections are 2' 3/8ths so are substantial pieces without being overbearing, funnily enough, they are within a few millimetres of my existing oak furniture, very accidentally :p

Thanks a lot Mate,
:thumbup:

Tanks looking sweet mate I really like the hard scape layout. Can't wait to see how the cabinet turns out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, getting quite excited about it myself! :) small things please simple minds... :lol:

Just dressing up an oak top(similar to what i will be doing with my cabinet).
The rustic look is intentional with the large knots in this piece:

ahubube3.jpg

y2a5aba2.jpg

Thats my Lie Nielsen smoothing plane with a bronze body, thats worth more than my whole tank :lol:

Very nice pieces of furniture Nath, the stand will look awesome in this wood!

Back