• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cabinet Hinges?

NeilW

For my cabinet I've been using 12mm thick MDF but I'm struggling to find concealed hinges that don't need a hole boring out less then this depth.

I just found these on Ebay;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Easy-Mount-/-...193cd4d1240a0e204c24002ffae6510#ht_1962wt_913
It appears they don't need any large holes drilling and fit flush with the surface of the wood, but it says they are for a minimum door thickness of 16mm, would they still be OK?

Did anyone have any better hinge suggestions as I'm struggling to get my head around it :lol: Could I use other hinges and bulk out the thickness with wood or some kind of mounting plate or would this throw the alignment out :crazy:.

Sorry for my DIY skills failure :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

I hope you using Moisture resistant treated MDF you can tell if its green, standard stuff swells with high humidity and won't appreciate water spills.

You probably already knew that though.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
I hope you using Moisture resistant treated MDF you can tell if its green, standard stuff swells with high humidity and won't appreciate water spills.

You probably already knew that though.
Will be fine once primed and finished :thumbup:

As James said the primer and paint should seal it and I'll be either using car paint or a top coat of varnish. Hopefully be alright. I'm not too clumsy with water either *touch wood*

Yeah that should do it some commercially made cabinets I have seen don't use pre-treated MDF. I fell victim to it in my house when I put some thresholds in with untreated MDF, just the damp off peoples shoes made them bubble up and split so I had to rip them up :( they were just glossed though not sealed or primed.

Back