• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cabrieira

tmiravent

Hi,
even before dismantled my last setup the search for a new layout had already begun.
You can see last setup, and the final shot to IAPLC, EAPLC, AGA and ISTA:
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/half-pixel-to-anamorphosis.43060/page-3#post-502569

All begun in June.
I went to kayak with my old boy to a beautiful place, and i spoted some very nice pieces of wood.
24636216528_22fbaacdcc_b.jpg

(This image was before the 2 big fires, that also burned this area)

The stones, don't need to say... So many colors, shapes and forms that ideas start to pop like crazy!
26732562379_34fab813e8_b.jpg

Difficult to chose the color and type of stone... (there are stones everywhere)

In Jully we came back to the spot again.
26732561559_2f50121530_b.jpg

I remember some of the spots were i saw very nice pieces of wood.

This time i took the paddle to try.
If the wood fit's i would try to take it...
After some paddling day the wood was on dry land!
Next day i cut a bit to fit in the car...
24636215608_a3df14f9f2_b.jpg

The stones had to wait till the end of August.
Too heavy, had to took several journeys...
I'm glad my 10 year son love to paddle, he is a great partner in this adventures!

In September all the hardscape was gathered, time to draw and make the first test's...
This was the concept sketch!
24636214538_752a0e73ed_b.jpg

But how to make 3 mountainous with such a piece of wood?
I putted the wood inside the tank to evaluate my chances.
37621755855_313ec162eb_b.jpg

Not easy...

Lot's of work cutting and trying to put the wood in the right place.
The wood sees good to me, but i know it's still to big...
Like a Nuno said: what a nice 'cow scrag' !
(I don't know if the word exist in UK, in Portuguese is 'Cachaço de boi' and it's very funny. Image a big butcher with big knife cutting a big cow!)
Friend's comment's were no good: are you sure about that?
I'm not! But it's funny...
38471951056_f6253202f2_b.jpg

Time to put some stones, and search for the right composition.
My creative process usually start with an idea, or concept. Then i draw to see if they are good.
In this case the idea was strong but i had many doubt's about the final result...
With time everything was clear and 3 mountains was the way to go! (maybe like the 3 sisters in Pirineus)
37640417105_abab0f5eb2_b.jpg

At this point, the plants start to find the right place's in the layout.
Here is my primary sketch for planting:
38496255412_5a8846451f_b.jpg

More steps in the long process...
38471952036_4aa85b9d5e_b.jpg

But let's leave the bla, blá, blá...
Here is the setup:

Name: Cabrieira (the name of the small river that inspired the layout)
Date: 18.11.2017
Tank: CentriVidro 270 liters 120 (c) x 45 (a) x 50 (p) - vinyl Tozé (theVinylMaster)
Stand: DIY artificial wood
Lights: DIY MiraLed V2018
Filter:EHEIM 4 350T + eheim Skim350
Co2: Sera Reactor 1000
Other equipment: Electrolysis device
Hardscape: Acácia Dealbata wood + shale stone
Substrate: Mix
Fert's: DIY
Fish:
Plants:

Bucephalandra's (maybe)
Crepidomanes cf. malabaricum (going out)
Cryptocoryne albida 'Brown'
Eleocharis sp. 'Parvula
Eleocharis sp. 'Pusilla' (maybe)
Hydrocotyle Tripartita
Hygrophila Pinnatifida
Limnophila sp. "Vietnam" . Vietnam Ambulia
Marsilea Hirsuta
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' (maybe)
Rotala sp. "Green"
Rotala sp. "Orange"
Rotala sp. 'Colorata'
Staurogyne sp. "Porto Velho
Staurogyne sp. 'Repens'
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping' (maybe)
Utricularia Graminifolia (maybe)

cheers

Here is the layout after fill, still a bit cloudy...
Not sure about some plant's...
Bucephalandra's (maybe)
Crepidomanes cf. malabaricum (going out, i don't like the way it look inside the tank)
Eleocharis sp. 'Pusilla' (maybe)
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' (maybe, falling in the rocks)
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping' (maybe, in the wood)
Utricularia Graminifolia (maybe)
37641281555_8a82fc0867_b.jpg

My spot in the end of the day:
37813072724_74472a310e_b.jpg

cheers

Wow, interesting to see all the planning going into this. It looks great!

Hi,
even before dismantled my last setup the search for a new layout had already begun.
You can see last setup, and the final shot to IAPLC, EAPLC, AGA and ISTA:
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/half-pixel-to-anamorphosis.43060/page-3#post-502569

All begun in June.
I went to kayak with my old boy to a beautiful place, and i spoted some very nice pieces of wood.
24636216528_22fbaacdcc_b.jpg

(This image was before the 2 big fires, that also burned this area)

The stones, don't need to say... So many colors, shapes and forms that ideas start to pop like crazy!
26732562379_34fab813e8_b.jpg

Difficult to chose the color and type of stone... (there are stones everywhere)

In Jully we came back to the spot again.
26732561559_2f50121530_b.jpg

I remember some of the spots were i saw very nice pieces of wood.

This time i took the paddle to try.
If the wood fit's i would try to take it...
After some paddling day the wood was on dry land!
Next day i cut a bit to fit in the car...
24636215608_a3df14f9f2_b.jpg

The stones had to wait till the end of August.
Too heavy, had to took several journeys...
I'm glad my 10 year son love to paddle, he is a great partner in this adventures!

In September all the hardscape was gathered, time to draw and make the first test's...
This was the concept sketch!
24636214538_752a0e73ed_b.jpg

But how to make 3 mountainous with such a piece of wood?
I putted the wood inside the tank to evaluate my chances.
37621755855_313ec162eb_b.jpg

Not easy...

Those first pics remind me about Castelo de Bode in the summer... is it near that dam by any chance?

Wow, interesting to see all the planning going into this. It looks great!
Very nice and original hardscape, following this one with interest. :)
Thanks tam and CooKieS!

Those first pics remind me about Castelo de Bode in the summer... is it near that dam by any chance?
Yes!
It's in 'Castelo do Bode', a very small stream called 'Cabrieira' (there are many similar small streams along the river till you reach 'Serra da Estrela').
Wonderful place to visit and paddle!

Yes!
It's in 'Castelo do Bode', a very small stream called 'Cabrieira' (there are many similar small streams along the river till you reach 'Serra da Estrela').
Wonderful place to visit and paddle!
I knew it was way too familiar not to be! :lol: I grew up and lived most of my life not too far away from there, so it was a must go to place during the summer.

That's looks amazing Tiago. And very original, it should look great once grown in. I also liked the details of all the planning that went into this, plus the fact that all the hardscape was sourced from nature, it gives it that je né se Quois that differentiates it from all the other ones we see out there as time after time people keep falling for the mistake of using the same materials as everyone else instead of looking for ways to add variety into their scapes.
Besides it adds to the fact that you can make aquascaping cheap, if you are willing to go out there and look.

That's looks amazing Tiago. And very original, it should look great once grown in. I also liked the details of all the planning that went into this, plus the fact that all the hardscape was sourced from nature, it gives it that je né se Quois that differentiates it from all the other ones we see out there as time after time people keep falling for the mistake of using the same materials as everyone else instead of looking for ways to add variety into their scapes.
Besides it adds to the fact that you can make aquascaping cheap, if you are willing to go out there and look.

Thanks for your nice comment!
I also buy stuff from local shop's, but for this one the nature fit's better. (in this case, was not a question of €€€)
It's a very nice debate, collecting or not, hardscape from nature...
As you can see the wood is from a non native tree, actually it's an infestation and we spend a good money trying to control it.
The stones were collected without disturbing the landscape.
More time i spend walking and photographing nature more i realize:
- would be nice that aquascapers pick more 'waste' from the land. We have ton's of wood waiting to be ignition in next year's fire's!
We have so many type/color of stones around, why don't use it?
cheers

- would be nice that aquascapers pick more 'waste' from the land. We have ton's of wood waiting to be ignition in next year's fire's!
We have so many type/color of stones around, why don't use it?
cheers
That's actually a really good way of seeing it. I am Portuguese, and though I have been a decade away I am returning home for good in a few weeks. It was already part of my plan exploring Portuguese nature and do some photography. But if there's the chance or collecting some wood instead of letting it burn, i am in for it. I was on holidays in September in center Portugal a beautiful area near Arganil, I did some wood and rock collecting there. And it was hearthbreaking to find out just a few weeks after that it had all burned down.

Here is the update,
usually i get algae in start in my tanks always...
The wood must have lot's of organic waste, diatoms are also playing a bit here!

Look at this fluffy thing!:lurking:
25018873468_fba66727d3_b.jpg

38003550185_5c170e9057_b.jpg

This reactor needs a bath!:banhappy:
25018873928_53a1db0acf_b.jpg

Emersed leaves dying also helps algae.
38003549935_e658380c63_b.jpg

Some cleaning, water change and it's done for the next punch!:watching:
38003550505_92e52d8e48_b.jpg

cheers.

Good that you show all the ups and downs along the way, and show whats to be expected on the way towards a good looking tank:thumbup::thumbup:

I think there are plenty people who believe that if you buy all the right stuff there should never be problemso_O

The shale stone is lovely. I'm very jealous of where you live it looks amazing. Also the way you placed the wood is surprisingly natural at first I was unsure but it really like like something you'd see at the side of a riverbank now :)

Good that you show all the ups and downs along the way, and show whats to be expected on the way towards a good looking tank:thumbup::thumbup: I think there are plenty people who believe that if you buy all the right stuff there should never be problemso_O

Thanks!
I learned a lot in this forum! So, i keep sharing my try's and errors, maybe others will learn.
Maintenance is the key, there's always some stuff to solve. UKAPS is very nice place to learn aquascaping!

The shale stone is lovely. I'm very jealous of where you live it looks amazing. Also the way you placed the wood is surprisingly natural at first I was unsure but it really like like something you'd see at the side of a riverbank now :)
Thanks for the nice words!

Another good layout Tiago! Show us an update!
You're right, i'm very lazy person...

Any updates on this? How are you dealing with the algae?
Yes, i'm updating now. Algae gone long time ago, but always have in start up's.:bored:

Here is the layout after a cut...
26021900708_40afea11d5_b.jpg

And more stuff...
39895566011_2046c12311_b.jpg

26021899858_9201fdd411_b.jpg

25023608177_83124a82a2_b.jpg

26021900128_575015218e_b.jpg

25023608717_b51e087c1a_b.jpg

25023609477_039c8cfb01_b.jpg

26021901308_d21a33a973_b.jpg

25023607307_f53248a742_b.jpg

Hope you love it,