• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cacl2 purity

eminor

Hello, i tend to buy moisture absorber reload, it cost mostly nothing and often contain Calcium chloride. I looked at the security pdf, they say that the purity is from 72 to 84%, i also watched elsewhere, mostly around 70+%, is there a reason for that ?

Does that mean that if i want 20ppm calcium and i use the rotala calculator to get 20ppm, in reality i get lower due to the purity ? thx

So far i never seen bad effect on livestock

a container of Food grade calcium chloride cost me us$2, so its cheap enough that I never considered using moisture absorber...

a container of Food grade calcium chloride cost me us$2, so its cheap enough that I never considered using moisture absorber...
Sure but the purity is no more than 80% if i'm right. There is not so much items in France, food grade cost me a lot

Last edited:
Hi @eminor, You pay a lot extra for very high purity. If you get something that is classified as food grade you will still have impurities, but you can be more certain that the impurities are not harmful - at least to humans, that is.

Cheers,
Michael

Actually that's a good question @eminor which has yet to be answered. I am actually curious about this as well. Why is it that Calcium Chloride purity is so low compared to other compounds which can be found at 99% usually. All I can find is 72-74% which seems to be the most common purity around and is labeled as food grade. In my book this is sub par purity in contrast to other compounds. There is certainly a good reason for this. Whether the impurities are harmful or not is not really my concerned here but whether if ppm calculations with Calcium Chloride can be off with such purities since we all assume that compounds are 99.++% to start with?
Or maybe it is just that it is 6.50 am, that I haven't finished my coffee and that I'm not thinking straight yet?
@dw1305 @X3NiTH ?

Myself and @Hanuman was having a chat about this the other day -
After some thought my input would be-

For Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) to be pure it would have to be in its anhydrous from ( no water bonded to it), however CaCl2 has a strong affinity to water so it absorbs water from the atmosphere and forms a more stable form which is Calcium Chloride Dihydrate (CaCl2:H2O), which still has an affinity to water but not as strong, so it will still absorb water given the right conditions. Dihydrate Calcium Chloride is 77% Calcium Chloride with 23% being water

So take Calcium Chloride - Very Pure Food Grade 77% Dihydrate Flake

the figure of 77% is the same as the Calcium Chloride percentage.
So is the 23% water or something else
eg
1. 77% Dihydrate Calcium Chloride and 23% something else
or
2. 76.9% Calcium Chloride and 22.9% Water and 0.2% other compounds

I think its the later as its been classed as 'pure' which means few impurities other than water

Which the lab analysis supports also IMO (I am not a chemist as our Half Blooded Prince aka @X3NiTH )
1687177485442.png

So if you buy pure food grade CaCl2:H2O and store it correctly, the figure given by the IFC calculator will be pretty dam close as the main 'impurity' is Mg which has a very similar effect to the GkH level as Ca and only increases your Mg ppm slightly.
If however you purchase un-pure CaCl2 the figures from the IFC will be less accurate

Last edited:
Back