Cal Aqua Double Drop Checker

Discussion in 'Aqua Essentials' started by Aqua Essentials, 30 May 2008.

1. Aqua Essentials

Aqua Essentials Sponsor Staff Member

2. Wayney

Wayney Member

How much pre-prepared solution comes with it?

3. Aqua Essentials

Aqua Essentials Sponsor Staff Member

15ml

We're selling refils (60ml) and they'll be on the site in about 5 mins

4. Wayney

Wayney Member

Ok cool. Thanks :)

5. Garuf

Garuf Member

I don't understand why you would want 2?
    Everyone's CO2 requirements are different so why try and standardise, surely that's asking for algae?

6. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Exactly... :wideyed:

7. JamesM

JamesM Member

Cal Aqua have some nice stuff though... I was looking at their inline diffuser, but wasn't sure how much it would affect the flow...

13mm_inline_diffuser.jpg

[Edited: Updated image host]

8. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi James,
    Yes they do have nice stuff, but a double dropchecker? This is an illusion of the highest order. Let's do a mini-reality check: Raise your hand if your current drop checker is green and you still have CO2 related algae. Well, if you raised your hand that means the problem in the tank is more profound, such as poor flow or poor distribution, or too much light or any combination of these.

Blindly trying to modulate your bubble rate to match some arbitrary reference color is akin to hypnosis. Who cares what the reference color is? Look at your plants. They tell you what the status of your CO2 is. The lime green color is merely a point of reference that we ourselves advocate, but with the proviso that it should be used only as a guide. Your measurement color could be more bluish than the reference color and you could still be fine, or, it could match perfectly and you maybe in real trouble due to the factors listed above.

I use the diffuser you show and it does affect the flow rate but not as badly as some diffusers so it is a good one and is attractive as well. I just wish Cal Aqua had spent their R&D money in developing a diffuser with larger capacity, and larger diameter inlet/outlet spuds knowing that there is a trend towards larger planted tanks, instead of conjuring up this prestidigitation. :arghh:

Cheers,

9. JamesM

JamesM Member

Interesting to know, thanks Clive. Out of my price range for the time being though :(