• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Call me old fashioned... pH controller

Simon Davey

Does anyone still use these?
The Co2 in the last tank I had, was controlled by a pH controller, but I don't see any sign of these on YouTube or the forums.
I thought as long as it was kept in calibration, that it was a safe an optimum way of using Co2.
I have a a sumped system which I'm going to change to planted. It's a little over 600L.

I don’t think many people use them I’m sure I read they can make it fluctuate to much with it constantly trying to change the ph to whatever it’s set to

I don’t think many people use them I’m sure I read they can make it fluctuate to much
Yeah I think that was the issue, it takes a while to saturate the water with co2 so with the controller knocking on and off and the delay at getting co2 back up to where you wanted to be it created a yoyo effect. Most people get co2 up to where they want to be by lights on then hold it there. Maybe could be used as a fail safe setting the ph far lower than you want it to be so it usually never knocks off unless things got out of control?

Ah right, ok, thanks guys.
Much appreciated.
@AverageWhiteBloke that's a good idea
I used a similar idea, using twin CO2 solenoids/injectors and once target pH was reached one injection line was then off for rest of CO2 period

This issue with pH controllers is they measure absolute pH value not pH change from no CO2 injection ph to a +1pH change when CO2 level reached. This is why people end up ruining their tanks with pH controllers as the base line none CO2 injected pH level can vary from day to day due carbonate rocks, where you tap water came from today, dead fish, rotting plants, rotting food etc.

Not sure if Zeus implemented this in the most wonderful PLC tank controller.

Other issues are pH probes are sensitive things, they need regular calibration and are easily effect by stray electric fields.

This issue with pH controllers is they measure absolute pH value not pH change from no CO2 injection ph to a +1pH change when CO2 level reached. This is why people end up ruining their tanks with pH controllers as the base line none CO2 injected pH level can vary from day to day due carbonate rocks, where you tap water came from today, dead fish, rotting plants, rotting food etc.

Not sure if Zeus implemented this in the most wonderful PLC tank controller.

Other issues are pH probes are sensitive things, they need regular calibration and are easily effect by stray electric fields.
OK, I understand.
I must have just been lucky previously, I was always on top of the chemistry, regular controller calibration, plant maintenance etc.
I have a good, easily tuneable Co2 regulator which I used on my planted tank before, and also used on my calcium reactor.
Thanks for your time Ian.

I still use one but I don't bother calibrating the ph probe anymore. I use a drop checker and 'eyeball' the green colour I want. Solenoid comes on an hour before lights and C02 levels come up and to my eyes stay stable throughout the day. Solenoid is off an hour before lights go off.

The controller clicks the Co2 on and off a few times a day but all seems good. The probe is just behind the filter outlet so it's probably keeping things fairly tightly controlled. The reason I use it still is because I find it difficult to keep my Co2 dialed in without it, like say if I do a major trim (less plant mass using Co2), or I do a water change (seem the plants are 'amped up' the first couple of days afterward and using more Co2).

Just realizing I've had the controller for about 15 years now, so maybe it's just habit.

Does anyone still use these?
Hi @Simon Davey

One of the things that would concern me about using a CO2 pH controller is the build-up of biofilm on the electrode interfering with the pH measurement. Careful positioning in a tank to ensure the pH electrode is accessible for cleaning at frequent intervals would be essential.

JPC

Yeah I think the issue people had was worrying about the calibration or accuracy. I give my probe a brush every now and then but it's using the drop checker to measure rather than the controller itself that has made it easier and more practical for what I'm actually trying to achieve.

@jaypeecee & @66north
I have a sumped system (currently reef).
I've been thinking of the pro's and cons regarding a sumped planted tank.
One of the pro's would be the high flow area where I have the probe.
Also, it'll be good to use my O3 reactor as a CO2 reactor instead.
Not to mention 15L of Siporax etc

My filter room 😀
Sump is bottom right, sink is just out of shot.

Attachments

• DSC_1926.JPG
    DSC_1926.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 168
Back