• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Calling DIY cabinet builders!

Chris Stokes

Evening all,

I'm towards the end of my build and am using three coats of Homebase's Duracoat paint. To those who have built an MDF cabinet;

Did you add any extra waterproofing layer?

Thanks in advance.

Three coats of MDF Primer, then two of a water-based gloss on mine. No extra waterproofing, but I'm careful to avoid spills.

Chris
MDF would be one of the worst products to use any where near moisture. Make sure every exposed part is sealed and primed then painted.
If any spills wipe dry immediately.

I am not a DIY just a Cabinet maker of 10 years then taught Apprentices and secondary students for 26 years.

Keith:wave::wave:

Have to agree with Keith. Would definitely avoid mdf unless you veneer all the surfaces and even then. MDF will easily expand if water ever gets in contact with it so really need to be well sealed.

Of the man made boards I would probably go with Plywood but also make sure the ends of your plywood are well sealed

Bacms

If going Plywood even then the preferred is Marine grade as it is processed differently to make it 100% water proof not just moisture proof.

Making marine grade plywood.

Keith:wave::wave:

Back