• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Calling photographers - aquarium backing

Andrew Butler

I'm considering applying some kind of reverse printed window sticker to my aquarium with some 'interesting' looking clouds. I know this is bordering on tactless but with the look I am wanting thought it may create a bit more interest than a simple black vinyl backing and could become tactful - opinions?
A translucent/frosted backing is not really an option for me due to an array of doser pipes, ATO sensors and temperature sensors running up the back.
Has anyone with any photographic experience got any time to help me here at all please?
Product would be using something like in the link below
https://bigprintfast.com/product/Reverse-Printed-Window-Sticker
The kind of look I'm quite open to suggestions with but am not looking at blue skies so I think that would leave me with something more thundercloud in description.

How things stand at the minute; the wall is yet to have some work to it and quite possibly some kind of path running from the front left tapering to the wall at the back, also considering a bit more wall along the path.

Thanks
Andrew

20190506_211617.jpg

I’m sure I’ve seen something like you’re suggesting before Andrew and it looked ok to me. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and give it a try.

Frosty film is what I use.
A translucent/frosted backing is not really an option for me due to an array of doser pipes, ATO sensors and temperature sensors running up the back.
Not an option for me but thanks.
I’m sure I’ve seen something like you’re suggesting before Andrew and it looked ok to me. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and give it a try.
I think I probably will just do that if I can get the right picture and as @dean suggested try it printed on paper to give a rough idea but as we know everything looks different when planted up, with water and with a glossy look.

Remember you can crop them
Some of the ones I’ve just borrowed from google had sheep houses etc in the foreground that I simply cropped out

You need to decide the kind of scene you want
Is there to be distant hills ?
Or just sky ?
Or you want a grey rainy sky?
Dramatic red sunset ?

What about the side panels ?

If your not sure send me a photo of the tank and I’ll play with it
Be very good if you can cover the back panel with anything green when you take the pic as software is designed to replace that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input, this is not 'interesting' as I see it; maybe 'dramatic' would have been a better descriptor for the look I am thinking.
The enquiry is more about photography skills, software etc.
Some nice ones here:
I've had a look through a couple of these sites and although I maybe found a few I don't think the DPI is upto what is needed.
Do any of these help
You need to decide the kind of scene you want
Is there to be distant hills ?
Or just sky ?
I'm able to lay my hands on some unrestricted photos but as said above the DPI isn't upto what I need from what I've come across.
The kind of scene I am looking for is one of 'dramatic clouds' which is very open to interpretation I realise but I can picture some storm clouds with a blue/grey/white colour palette which might not help further but it's all about what photos either I'm able to take or someone has lying around.
I don't think it would be a good idea to add and mountains or further background.

Although there is still quite some work to do with the wall, the substrate and other things these are the rough proportions of my aquarium.

20190506_211617.jpg

Anyone with any high quality photos of some interesting looking clouds; maybe thunderous that would match the aquarium levels and willing to help me out?
I'm looking for that balance of it not being blue but likewise not being too black at the same time - if that's possible?!
Tactful V's Tasteless.

Thanks,
The quality isn't good enough on pixaby and ones on eBay etc seem very blue/light cloudy skies.

Some free sites have a few higher res images: https://www.freeimages.com/ (use the advanced search to select resolution). You can also use the google advanced image search to pick size and usage. You'll have more choice of higher res looking at paid sites though as most people won't have the cameras that take them. Somewhere like https://www.istockphoto.com etc.

Some free sites have a few higher res images: https://www.freeimages.com/ (use the advanced search to select resolution). You can also use the google advanced image search to pick size and usage. You'll have more choice of higher res looking at paid sites though as most people won't have the cameras that take them. Somewhere like https://www.istockphoto.com etc.
Thanks,
I did have a look through a few places but when it comes to paid I'd rather divert funds back into the hobby although it seems there are no volunteers.
Time for a trawl through I think. :pompus:

Back