• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cambodia scape help with environment and plants

Savi_g

Hey guys. So I’d like to make the next step and have a real attempt at a competition grade tank. Mine have always been rushed, little to no research and just “go as I please” kind of direction but seeing the world champ tanks recently I thought I’d have a go. I’ve settled on a Cambodia scape and was looking for 2 things. Fish I’ve already chosen but and help with plants in that area would be great. It’s going to be an estuary tank. So where the sea meets the river banks with those great mangrove trees, settled muddy banks and I wanted to some how show what I found on the net in the background. They look like dense flowing grass type plants I presume off the coast. Almost like dense vallis? I’ve put a picture below. Struggling with the 3D distance aspect but I think I’ll hire someone to draw it out for me. Anyway, below will be a mood board of what I’ve found. Could anyone as well as suggesting the plants also let me know how close these off shore flowing plants can be found so close to the mangrove trees because I’m struggling to find any info online. Thanks again in advance guys, you’re always so helpful so big thanks.

F4609F28-D288-480C-8975-1C666BD7C139.png
DDDBB184-55B7-4D83-A513-ECA571F1D940.jpeg
5313E65F-973C-425E-958B-C7E86BA21E21.jpeg
D2E0065F-18ED-46F7-B2C9-8807C20A3E99.jpeg
7C0C8B35-BE95-48E3-83FF-7922B717D800.jpeg
5E3AB670-D26E-4F72-A3E1-40626F14561E.jpeg
CFCA3373-B8D4-474E-BE71-AF53C100758E.jpeg

The post didn’t upload the pictures originally but basically, going on the tanks style above I’d like to replicate the aspect in concept and replace the trees on the left with the off shore plants and try to give the look of distance. Then on the right side replicate the line of mangroves leading out to the sea with 2 trees right up against the face of the tank to make them look really close.

From experience I know people can revisit posts years later and appreciate the info so the flowing grass I mentioned above is commonly known as “sea grass” “Posidonia oceanica” or “Neptune grass”. It has a thick root system to help it stay rooted in the sea but flows freely above the sea bed. I’m hoping it may be able to adjust fresh water being as it’s evolved from brackish plants.

mangrove roots that aren’t artificial seem to be impossible to buy…which is frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also still struggling to find your common aqua store plants that could be seen near the mangroves in Cambodia but I think that’ll be easier to find out.

I've seen Mangrove roots for sale at Riverwood aquatics, you could contact them and ask if/when they will have more in stock. This is a really interesting project, I'm fascinated by what you will come up with though I don't think I have any good advice to give!

Back