• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

camera people

Nick16

hi, im looking for a decent camera as the one i have doesnt provide decent image quality (old pentax optio A10)
i think my next step may be a digital slr. so all you guys who have a decent camera and can take those amazing shots, what camera do you have?
some info on these would be champion :lol:

Features
Image Quality
Value
Overall

What is your budget? Canon 450Dis a great entry DSLR camera, though I'm sure someone will suggest a Nikon :rolleyes: and you could probably get the d60 or a used d200 for the same money

well, i dont want to spend more than 300 but neaer to 200 is better. cheaper the better really but not cheap and cheerful if you get me.

I had a Canon 350D and got some good results with it, Graeme Edwards has one and his results speak for themselves! You could no doubt find one of them, if you got a 450D for that money then you'd be doing real well.

i havent a clue what all the technical specs are! the fuji cameras look good but i cant tell if one is better than another. all i know is that having more pixels is good :lol:

yeah i see. i just get so confused, i dont know what 99% of the stuff means. i just want a camera that can take really nice shots of my fish tank and use it in day to day life. but i dont want to spend a bomb!

More megapixels is something of a myth.

Buy an entry level DSLR from one of the main manufacturers and you will be fine.

Dave.

ahh right ok, see i dont know these things and if you dont ask...... :D

cheers for that info. i think i might go for around 10 million pixels. but i will consult some camera fans in my family and then decide which one is best for me.

megapixels doesnt really matter, unless you are going for large prints which i doubt you will. lenses are more important than the camera (to some degree.)
just some basic terms:

aperture (f/) - a larger aperture (smaller number!) for example f/3.5 will minimize the depth of field, and because it is a large opening in the lense, it gives you a quicker shutter speed due to more light being allowed in. A small aperture (big number) like f/22 will give you a greater depth of field., but slower shutter speed
SO for macro shots, and lurring the background f.3.5 will be used most of the time, although you start to experiment once you get used to it.

ISO - camera's sensitivity too light. a low ISO (ISO100) is better, as it reduced noise (little dots on pictures) but it also gives you a slower shutter speed so not always ideal for taking fish pictures, unless you have a load of light over the subject, hence why people on here have studio lighting,
A high ISO (ISO1600) will give you a quicker shutter speed, but may induce noise on the image, but on better camera's they can handle higher ISO's better. I can remeber seeing one of George's shot with ISO 12800 :lol:

Shutter speed - this is how fast the shutter closes. 1/125sec is quick enough for most fish. Trying to achieve this is a combination of the above.

I use aperture priority, This means you set the f/ and the ISO and the camera chooses a suitable shutter speed to get the correctly exposed image. eg i set it too f/3.5 and ISO400 and i get a shutter speed of about 1/60th sec. If i go any higher on the ISO i get considerable noise.
thanks.

thanks for the info mate. It is much appreciated. as said before i like the prices of the fuji's, it seems hard to find a camera that *seems* to have as much for the same price.

oldwhitewood said:
You could maybe pick up a second hand Nikon D40 with the kit lens for quite cheap I reckon.
Thats similar to what i was trying to say, the D40 and 350D are very alike in that they are bot an entry level SLR and you can get great results from both.

Back