• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

camera people

Nick16 said:
is 7 million pixels better than 10 mega pixels? i think it is but im unsure?

Unless you intend to blow the pics up to a large size no. If its for close up ( aqaurium shots ) best spend the money on good lens at the front rather than high pixels on the back. Check out Jessops refurbished, i think they list what they have on their website , often what is labelled refurbished is actually ex demo in the shop and their rating system is " honest " , they clean all lenses before shipping. Just to get back to the aquarium ( if thats what its for get a macro lens ). Neither area are where you need to spend a lot of money here, the challenge in aqaurium photography is the light especially if you have mixed colour temperature flourescents then its the macro lens. Id hazard an educated guess and say that a 350d with the right lens on front ( macro ) would beat the latest and greatest non macro on the market at the moment , its all about light and lenses and less about the body these days , hope that helps.

Close up or Macro is a little bit of a sideshow in photograhpy so you probably wont get it in Dixons and while some of the terms can be a bit daunting a little perseverance in choosing the kit that suits your budget and comes in spec will pay big dividends in terms of being able to produce stunning photographs of your tank. A decent macro lens starts at about 80 pounds ( again Jessops may have something second hand ). If i recall correctly ring Jessops switch and ask for David Ryan, used to deal with him a lot and hes a real gent.

This....

http://www.nextag.co.uk/Sigma-70-300mm- ... rices-html

it's the exact same lens for this image.

with something like a 350D and some good lighting should give you the ability to give you this...

pencil3.jpg

whether it's a 350d, 450 or a 5D at smaller size images the difference wouldn't be that huge.

taken with a canon 350D with a canon 100mm macro lens using the pre set camera macro settings.

apisto.th.jpg

Try photography on the net (POTN) for second hand camera equipment. I have a Nikon D40, which is a great beginner DSLR, but I've outgrown it. My main gripe with it is shooting in low light and the poor choice of auto focus lenses. Unfortunately I can't afford to step up to a D90, and there's no point in getting a D60 as there's not much difference lol.

i have been looking on various forums but not much going at the mo. had a look on fleabay but they are wayy beyond my budget. :lol:

Back