• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can all LED be dimmed?

andy198712

Hi,

So I have LEDDY day and night 14w led tubes, two of.

These are just a normal plug lead with a switch in it.

When turned on, you turn the switch off and on again to switch it to next setting which adds blue, then you cycle the switch again to switch it all to blue.

My question is,
Is there some kind of box or controller for these kind of lights? Just to dim them?
The controllers see to be jack plugs?

Thanks
Andy

I'm afraid not, at least the product specs don't mention it... All I could find is you need the proper T5/T8 adapter to place the tubes in the hood.

This adapter seems to contain the driver to convert the VAC 110/220 main power internally and to switch to the desired colour via the power switch.
38d23f99d8db494bf41358ba1f157745b0972bcc.jpg
ddef8e4943c77609ff05a5feac77d5e02c011f41.jpg

The only thing they offer is the Socket Link Dou, which seems to work via Wifi and Mobile App, to switch lights, heaters, pumps etc. The latter 2 give me the impression it's only an on-off / timer function. Its specs don't mention anything about dimming. Not mentioned means not available.
bf3f18eddb6c471c59c0d4420c50f2b199ea50ca.jpg

Putting a frosted film over the tube would be your only option, but that's a rather permanent dimming.

"Can all LED be dimmed?": No, the system must contain specific circuitry to support dimming, otherwise dimming will not work properly and/or the system can be damaged. Nowadays, most LED light bulbs from major manufacturers are compatible with generic <trailing edge dimmers>. However, this reasoning does not extend to other LED systems, such as the ones used in aquariums and other specialized setups. These systems are often closed packages that are designed not to work with third-party controllers but only with proprietary controllers.

I'm afraid not, at least the product specs don't mention it... All I could find is you need the proper T5/T8 adapter to place the tubes in the hood.

This adapter seems to contain the driver to convert the VAC 110/220 main power internally and to switch to the desired colour via the power switch.
38d23f99d8db494bf41358ba1f157745b0972bcc.jpg
ddef8e4943c77609ff05a5feac77d5e02c011f41.jpg

The only thing they offer is the Socket Link Dou, which seems to work via Wifi and Mobile App, to switch lights, heaters, pumps etc. The latter 2 give me the impression it's only an on-off / timer function. Its specs don't mention anything about dimming. Not mentioned means not available.
bf3f18eddb6c471c59c0d4420c50f2b199ea50ca.jpg

Putting a frosted film over the tube would be your only option, but that's a rather permanent dimming.
ah so those are the retro fit tubes, mine are just LED tubes with a wire coming out, non retro fit, i'll attach a pic. :)
I'm just a little loathed to buy more lighting, these ones came with the tank and fit the mounting system ect but hey ho!

"Can all LED be dimmed?": No, the system must contain specific circuitry to support dimming, otherwise dimming will not work properly and/or the system can be damaged. Nowadays, most LED light bulbs from major manufacturers are compatible with generic <trailing edge dimmers>. However, this reasoning does not extend to other LED systems, such as the ones used in aquariums and other specialized setups. These systems are often closed packages that are designed not to work with third-party controllers but only with proprietary controllers.
ah yes, like when you buy LED bulbs for the house, not all are suitable for dimmer switches!

Then they are not the LEDDY day and night 14w led tubes I did find on the net... Without proper specifications, it's not possible to say anything about it.

DC constant voltage SMD LED strip can easily be dimmed via PWM... Constant current LED needs a proper dimmable driver... I have LED tubes actually says nothing usseable.

Better e-mail the sellers service desk and ask them they know what they sold you hopefully. :)

They do a ready to work like mine and a retro fit. I’ll try find there contacts and shoot them a email

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
IF you dont mind the look/cant see the light, you can just cover a percentage of the LED's with some place electrical tape. Covering 20% of the light should drop your lighting levels by 20% as long as you do this evently over the length of the light

They do a ready to work like mine and a retro fit. I’ll try find there contacts and shoot them a email
Buy the looks of it I'm again afraid not... VAC 220 converter and LED driver built-in that likely is not dimmable...

Also doing a quick search on Google, Aquel tube lights dimmable reveals nothing... But you're not alone in this search.

If you’re talking about dimming the actual LED chips, then you need to work back from that to the driver to a compatible dimmer.

Back