• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone help me with this

Nathanh2150

Woke up this morning to do my daily routine with my aquarium and seen that one of my rainbow fish has a wound to the side I’m kinda thinking it may have got spooked and hit itself against the bog wood or it’s been in a fight with another rainbow fish in the tank should I start treating with daily salting ? If so would this be something that won’t affect the rainbow the rainbow fish seems to be swimming around freely with the other rainbows eating well just took me by surprise this morning when turning the light on

Any help and advice would be much appreciated
19E7EE96-618C-4668-BA40-3A03F2656BFC.jpeg

It won’t be down to the heater as I have a bio master thermo 900 which has a built in heater to the extunel filter and with salt just thinking it would kill any infection hopefully the rainbow fish will heal well I shall try a meth blue treatment

Hi
I need some more advice as I have been using Esha 2000 but I’m not seeing any improvements if anything looks like it’s spreading photos attached to show current situation been treating daily with once a week water changes all my other rainbow fish show no signs of this on them
@dw1305 @jamiepearson

Attachments

• 3DD27B33-D96A-400D-B8F8-2BCD1971B018.jpeg
    3DD27B33-D96A-400D-B8F8-2BCD1971B018.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
  • 4E966CD3-84B3-469D-9573-4D341A0D066E.jpeg
    4E966CD3-84B3-469D-9573-4D341A0D066E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
  • 0E16E771-5E61-4810-B3B8-B9522B38601C.jpeg
    0E16E771-5E61-4810-B3B8-B9522B38601C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
  • 327BA80D-EA8F-423C-BBBA-210A85D1B0DF.jpeg
    327BA80D-EA8F-423C-BBBA-210A85D1B0DF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
  • CD31E841-B27B-4299-880D-9B188F5170BC.jpeg
    CD31E841-B27B-4299-880D-9B188F5170BC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
  • 9D083302-2DAF-4446-BD89-4B797A5C50B6.jpeg
    9D083302-2DAF-4446-BD89-4B797A5C50B6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
  • 70ABE041-5988-443A-ACCC-475E89516831.jpeg
    70ABE041-5988-443A-ACCC-475E89516831.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 113
I have no expertise, only reading up on common things so I'm prepared. Myxazin is what I'd try, but did you do a Meth Blue bath to determine if it was fungus or something else?

Id start thinking along the lines of columnaris now that several have got it. Columnaris isn't always on the back of the fish but yours have a suspiciously classic placement..
Esha 2000 isnt gonna cut it for columnaris. The only thing around here ive heard has a chance against it is "Sera Baktopur Direct". The Direct part is important, "Sera Baktopur" is a different medication and wont do. This medication will kill your filterbacteria so im gonna tag a few folks here to get a second and third opinion
@MirandaB @mort what do you think? Its not the classic white but they can get fleshy looking once its deep enough?

To me it doesn't look like Columnaris,when I saw the original post it looked to me like the fish had perhaps got itself stuck in some rock as I see there is dragonstone in there which is pretty sharp.
Leaning more towards something bacterial but a separate dip in Methylene Blue will do no harm and would rule out fungal if it doesn't stain.
Edit as didn't make that very clear....mechanical damage then secondary bacterial infection.

Last edited:
I do have a rather large pice of drift wood in the aquarium would it be wise to treat the rainbows in the same tank just incase there’s anything that shouldn’t be in the tank to get that treated with Methylene Blue I also turn the extunel filter off when treating so it stays in the tank a little longer before turning the tank back on. I have knoticed in the tank mating behaviour and territorial behaviour so think this may of happened when there’s been a show off .. what’s your thoughts on the outcome for these rainbows ?

I do have a rather large pice of drift wood in the aquarium would it be wise to treat the rainbows in the same tank just incase there’s anything that shouldn’t be in the tank to get that treated with Methylene Blue I also turn the extunel filter off when treating so it stays in the tank a little longer before turning the tank back on. I have knoticed in the tank mating behaviour and territorial behaviour so think this may of happened when there’s been a show off .. what’s your thoughts on the outcome for these rainbows ?
You'll need to use a separate tub for a Methylene Blue bath as using that in the main tank will also kill your filter bacteria.
1ml to 9lts of water and leave them in for 30 mins or so but keep an eye on them in case of any adverse reactions...it's unlikely but better to be safe.
Sounds quite possible it might be down to them maturing and having territorial disputes although I still think the dragonstone is more likely to have caused injuries like that than the bogwood.
As for treating the actual tank it would need to be something more filter friendly so a course of esha 2000 isn't going to hurt although as @Hufsa says it won't touch Columnaris if it does turn out to be that.

Esha 2000 isnt gonna cut it for columnaris. The only thing around here ive heard has a chance against it is "Sera Baktopur Direct". The Direct part is important, "Sera Baktopur" is a different medication and wont do. This medication will kill your filterbacteria so im gonna tag a few folks here to get a second and third opinion
We can't get Sera Baktopur Direct here as the active ingredient is Nifurpirinol which is an antibiotic

I only purchased Esha 2000 as this was recommended on the post I have been treating daily since purchased. If I was to treat them in the tank as I really don’t fancy fishing them out of the tank stressing them out even more even tho there swimming around eating well. Would it be wise to wash out the sponges into a bucket keeping the bacteria in there and re adding it back in once the extunel filter is put on so it boosts the bacteria that may off been lost

I missed the part where you said you were treating already with that,I was too busy looking at the photos so my apologies :)
Really wouldn't advise using the Meth Blue in the tank

I guess Myxazin would be the next thing to try which is fine to be dosed in the tank but I'm not sure if it's invert safe and you'd need to do a decent water change and perhaps run some carbon in the filter to remove the Esha first.

@MirandaB where would I be able to purchase some myxazin from ? As I don’t believe I have used this before in any of my aquariums as not had this before.

In my tank I mainly have
Rainbow fish
1x bristle nose pleco
5x otocinclus
6x sterbai corydoras
5x pepper corydoras

I’ve seen this in rainbow fish before, it may be lymphocystis. Apparently it is quite common in commercially bred rainbow fish. It’s a viral infection which cannot be cured.
I had a female bosemani this would happen to. Lesions would appear sporadically and then clear up by themselves, only to return at a later date.

How are all the other fish?

Looking at images I could be wrong actually, lynphcystis seems to show itself more as lumps rather than lesions.

Back