• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone recommend a cheap sand substrate that is available in the uk?

George1992

Seedling
I want to redo one of my planted tanks using sand. I’ve heard of people using children’s play sand from places such as B&Q. From what I’ve seen, this stuff tends to be very fine rather than coarse.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks. Do you think that stuff from Argos would be too fine for planting into? I read that it can damage the roots if the sand is not coarse enough.

Unipac Silver Sand not to light or dark and perfect for catfish. Watch out buying silver or river sand stick to garden centres or aquatic shops avoid builders merchants

Hi all,
You can use <"pool filter sand"> if you want a coarser grade of silica sand. You need to check that it is silica sand when you buy it, because some of them are now re-cycled glass, which is fine as a filter medium but looks a bit strange in the tank.

cheers Darrel
Plus one for pool filter sand.

@MWood that's a very similar product, both are natural looking ;)

Used Argos play sand a long time ago. Crypts had roots all over the tank. As others said it was quite dirty so needs a rinse.

Back