• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone recommend some extra long tweezers?

upload_2020-1-24_14-24-40.jpeg

Well my 30cm ADA Tweezers have finally arrived.

I have to be honest and admit that I did wonder if you guys might be over-egging just how good things were compared to the cheapo ones off Amazon.

Good god was I wrong! I’ve just trimmed and replanted about 20 stems, not one floated back at me - it was soooo much easier than the old tweezers. If I owned a hat, I’d eat it!

Title speaks for itself guys, but I'm after some extra long tweezers, as my standard 300mm ones are struggling in some of the harder to reach areas of my aquarium.

I could do with some around 450mm long, but still staying fairly light and fine. I did order some of these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019OSK364/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But they weighed about 2 kilos and could have crush walnuts! I need something with the added length (yes, I know, feel free to insert pun of choice), but maintaining the delicacy of standard planting tweezers.

Any suggestions?
I thought to myself, they can never be that heavy, so I ordered a pair. THEY ARE THAT HEAVY, and they've been returned.

I tried again with the extra long tweezers and found the FEITA branded ones on Amazon. They're 15" long and no where near as heavy as the ones I had before. They're quite slippy as there was no grip on the outer polished surface. I scratched a few lines with a scalpel and that made a good gripping surface. All in all, not to bad and great value too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FEITA-Extra-Long-15inch-Tweezer-Stainless/dp/B07KFNSL7R/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=FEITA+Extra-Long+15inch/380mm+Tweezer+Tongs+Stainless+Steel+-+Mega+Reptile+Feeding+Tweezers&qid=1586951214&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Last edited:
JBL ones are also good, I have both ADA and JBL, comparable quality. Both brands are pretty expensive though...

So ADA tweezer owners: what size should I get for nano tank work? Do I just get L or XL (27 or 30cm) so I can reach anywhere in the tank without getting my hand wet, or will I find I have more finesse with the S or M (16 or 21cm)?

Also has anyone got both ADA and Tropica/Dennerle tweezers and can advise if one can tell the difference? I‘d like to save money but don’t want to get the cheaper option, be unhappy and have to upgrade (I already have a set of eBay tools that are barely up to the job).

So ADA tweezer owners: what size should I get for nano tank work? Do I just get L or XL (27 or 30cm) so I can reach anywhere in the tank without getting my hand wet, or will I find I have more finesse with the S or M (16 or 21cm)?

Also has anyone got both ADA and Tropica/Dennerle tweezers and can advise if one can tell the difference? I‘d like to save money but don’t want to get the cheaper option, be unhappy and have to upgrade (I already have a set of eBay tools that are barely up to the job).

I'll admit to previously being a sceptic on the expensive ADA tools, but I've since become a convert. The 30cm Pro Pinsettes that I bought are a pleasure to use, though I haven't compared them to JBL and Tropica variants, they were infinitely better than the cheap Amazon multi-tool set I had previously.

I also recently stumped up for a pair of the 32cm ADA Pro-Scissors Nude (no jokes about Pro-Nudes :p), and they are superb, significantly better than the JBL S30 Curved scissors that I had previously and always felt a bit cumbersome.

As for long vs short tweezers, I'll let someone more experienced than me answer that, though if you only want to buy one pair I can't think of anything that can't be done with the 30cm pinsettes I have.

So because I am in nano land I got the ADA size M (21cm) tweezers and the spring scissors. Wow!

Everything I plant just goes in exactly where I want it and stays there. With the scissors I can snip one single leaf without effort. Verdict: expensive but recommended.

f832171eed1821c1fd22918a755eee63.jpg

Back