• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can cyanobacteria treatments kill oto gut flora?

BenjP

The question's in the title. I used a Seachem treatment to get rid of a stubborn cyanobacteria problem - not keen on using chemical treatments, but thought I'd try it.

A few days later I noticed a couple of my otos had significantly distended stomachs. A quick search suggested this might be to do with gut flora deficiencies preventing them from digesting food - I've made no other changes to the tank and they've never given me a reason to think they're anything other than healthy and happy. Given that the BGA treatment is essentially an antibiotic, interested to hear thoughts on whether this could this be the cause?

Cheers.

I wouldn’t think so, though I don’t know that particular treatment. Normally for cyano it’s erythromycin, and I’ve used that on otos with no issues many times.

Did the treatment work ? Did you syphon up after to remove l ask because if it works and leaves residue but l dont usually use chemicals on this in the past tried sypnoning and plenty of daily water changes . If its substrate check that ambient sunlight isnt a problem

Back