Can I add substrate to existing tank?

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by 5av10ur, 27 Apr 2008.

1. 5av10ur

5av10ur Newly Registered

I have an exisitng, fairly mature 160l tank, which I am slowly starting to plant. I have always struggled to get plants to grow and having read the forum posts here I can see why. I'm about to buy a pressurised CO2 kit but want to also put a substrate like ADA Amazonia in. The tank is due it's 6 monthly strip down and clean and I was hoping to be able to add the substrate then. However from what I have read the substrate releases ammonia and needs at least a week to stabilise and the fish probably wouldn't enjoy being in the tank whilst this happens. I don't have another tank I can put my fish into whilst this happens so does anyone know of a substrate that is safe to put into a mature tank or an idea of a way round this. I was perhaps thinking of putting the substrate into a large container with a filter, heater, some plants and aquarium water to get it settled and then putting it into the tank. Do peopl think this might work?

Cheers.

2. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I have recently redone one of my tanks and totally stripped the tank and added Amazonia to the tank and I added the fish back after two days as there was no Nitrite reading! I think if you have a mature, overspec'd filter and did 50% water changes every day for a week or so you will be fine to put the fish back in the same day.

I have heard of people soaking aquasoil for a week or so to help with this stage too.

3. 5av10ur

5av10ur Newly Registered

Many thanks for your reply. Soaking the substrate for a while sounds like a good option as well. I reckon I'll take a nitrite reading before each water change just to see what happens.

4. Garuf

Garuf Member

Soaking the AS would produce the same effect as doing a dry start up, the sediment would become cycled and the necessary bacteria and such would mean the start up period is greatly reduced.

5. beeky

beeky Member

Just wondering why you strip the tank down every 6 months? Is it for aesthetic reasons i.e. you want to try new a new scape/arrangement or something else? My old tank was running for 7 years or so without any major clean...