• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can I demand a refund on this aquarium?

FrozenShivers

Looking for a little bit of advice, I ordered an optiwhite tank, after waiting a few weeks for it to arrive, it was the wrong size (5cm too small in height), I contacted them to ask what my options were, they said they could refund me the difference or make me another tank which I thought was fair enough, after they told me the refund amount I figured I'd keep the tank as I didn't want to wait multiple weeks again for another tank. I then inspected the tank with plans to keep it and discovered that there was a small crack in one of the corners. I then informed them that I would require it to be collected. I gave them collection dates that suit 5 days ago and haven't heard a word back, I'm getting to the point where I'd rather just ask for a refund. I'm unsure of my consumer rights exactly...

• Do I have to allow them to swap the tank like for like with original tank.
  • Can I change the order to a different tank (one that would arrive in a few days instead of a few weeks).
  • If I demand a refund are they obliged to give me one at this stage?

Thanks in advance!

If tank has a crack in it then it is 'not fit for purpose' so a refund or replacement is in order
Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly
Unquote
So much will depend on the 'terms and conditions of sale' the company has, which you should have already seen (or ticked a box) so check them out first before making demands as knowing your rights before demanding them is key - nobody likes to look a 'fool'. Even if the time has expired on refund they are more likely to give refunds to 'nice' costumers, so make it a happy smiley conversation
I decent company will do all it can to make things right IMO, having said that we are still in a 'pandemic' even though it may feel its over at times.

Last edited:
If tank has a crack in it then it is 'not fit for purpose' so a refund or replacement is in order
Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly
Unquote
So much will depend on the 'terms and conditions of sale' the company has, which you should have already seen (or ticked a box) so check them out first before making demands as knowing your rights before demanding them is key - nobody likes to look a 'fool'. Even if the time has expired on refund they are more likely to give refunds to 'nice' costumers, so make it a happy smiley conversation
I decent company will do all it can to make things right IMO, having said that we are still in a 'pandemic' even though it may fell its over at times.

Thanks for your informative reply, really helpful. I've just checked on their website and it says:

"Damaged / Faulty goods must be returned within 14 days after confirmation is given. We will arrange all collections from UK mainland (other regions we may require the customer to send at own cost) for damaged or faulty goods free of charge which may be either a Parcelforce48 collection or we may supply a free post address. We require all returns to be returned together with such documentation necessary to enable us to identify you as the purchaser, We also need written instructions or emailed instructions on the nature of the damage or fault."

I see no mention of refunds in there, but I would have thought that UK consumer law would overrule any policy they have?

Damaged / Faulty goods must be returned within 14 days after confirmation is given.
This is the period of time you have to 'return the goods', after 'confirmation is given.' It isnt the notice period you have to inform them IMO.

It’s not uncommon for people to have tanks arrive with the odd chip, corners are especially susceptible to this when people tip them from one end whilst lifting (I’ve done this many times on my tanks). Most people choose to live with it rather than have the hassle.

As for what happens replacement, refund wise, I think in most cases, if you provide the right argument at the right time, you can pretty much write your own ticket in terms of what you want.

So decide what you want the outcome to be and chase them for that.

Where bouts was this from ? i'am currently waiting on a optiwhite from Aquaruims4life.

It’s not uncommon for people to have tanks arrive with the odd chip, corners are especially susceptible to this when people tip them from one end whilst lifting (I’ve done this many times on my tanks). Most people choose to live with it rather than have the hassle.

As for what happens replacement, refund wise, I think in most cases, if you provide the right argument at the right time, you can pretty much write your own ticket in terms of what you want.

So decide what you want the outcome to be and chase them for that.
Sadly this was a pretty decent chunk. There was no chance I would have kept it with the damage, I'm not sure if it goes all the way through but I wouldn't trust it to hold water now. I think you make a good point!
Also note that whatever their terms and conditions are, nothing they say can remove your legal rights, so don't be put off if they give you a hassle. That being said, I've found that mostly vendors are willing to do the right thing.
Yeah I hope that this is the case , I'll update if anything changes.
Where bouts was this from ? i'am currently waiting on a optiwhite from Aquaruims4life.
It was from NACD, shame really as I also bought a small 25l float glass aquarium from them on eBay and there was no issues and for the price I think it's great. A4life are meant to be outstanding so I doubt you'll hear anything negative regarding them :)

IMG_5730.jpg

Do you want a number for the guy who runs it? I’ve always bought through them as I collect them from their warehouse whilst on the way to work.

I’d definitely want a replacement on that.
Thank you but I'm choosing to go the e-mail route so I have a clear log of all dialogue :)

You could use Resolver to request a refund all the online letters and replys are kept in a folder.And just using resolver makes retailers react. You have more rights on line as @Zeus says though be polite but firm with your letters. If they try and put you off or delay go straight to Trading Standards

Back