• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

can i mix macro and micro mixes to make one solution?

Can i mix trace mix with macro salts to make one solution rather than have 2 different solutions?
Hi @john6 It really depends on what specific macro components and micro components and chelates you are mixing and in what quantities. In general, it's not a good idea due to interaction and precipitation especially with respect to Fe but other traces as well - hence the general recommendation by many experts here of not dosing macros at the same time as traces/micros, but instead wait 12-24 hours in-between to avoid unwanted interaction.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael
I'm buying equipment for my new set up and i'm buying a doser, I would rather buy a single head if possible so is there a mix i can make which combines macro and micro in one solution?
I am using the trace mix from APFUK
Macro mix is
Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Sulphate
Magnesium Sulphate.

Hi @john6 I am not familiar with the trace mix from APFUK, so I have to defer the question to the Almighty @Zeus. (or someone else...) who knows this trace mix and likely also knows if its mixable with your Macros. How are are you dosing your Phosphates (PO4) btw. ? (Oh, OK, Just remembered your not dosing PO4). PO4 is usually the one that don't go well with Fe...

Cheers,
Michael

you can dose macros 7 days worth at water change, and dose micros with the dosing pump daily!

you can dose macros 7 days worth at water change, and dose micros with the dosing pump daily!
Yes, thats exactly what I am doing as well. Front-load all the macros for the week with weekly WC and dose the micros a couple of time per week. Thats it... Rinse-repeat!

Last edited:
My impression is that the main issue is with phosphates and traces, essp Fe and Zn.

I'd also be interested to know if the other macros have any interaction with the trace elements..

If it is just phosphates (and I've just done a lot of hunting on UKAPS) I'm wondering if we could make an EI mix containing everything but phosphate (and then just dose phosphate as required) without interactions..

Sorry John for jumping in, but I'm rather interested and totally confused.
What exactly does the ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate do to stabilise the micronutrient chelates in an all-in-one mix? I'm sure they are anti-microbial, and I could go back through older threads, but is there a short answer?

Ascorbic acid acidifies the solution making the chelates holding the micros more stable and less likely to release/exchange the ion in question. That should mean it can't react with phosphate and precipitate.
iron chelate stability with pH EDDHA.jpg

The potassium sorbate inhibits mould and yeast growth.

If it is just phosphates (and I've just done a lot of hunting on UKAPS) I'm wondering if we could make an EI mix containing everything but phosphate (and then just dose phosphate as required) without interactions..
But then you are dosing two solutions, so why not do as EI was developed for, in KISS, Keep It Simple St*pid, and just dose micro and macro on alternate days, then no issues of interactions. Job done.

But then you are dosing two solutions, so why not do as EI was developed for, in KISS, Keep It Simple St*pid, and just dose micro and macro on alternate days, then no issues of interactions. Job done.
OP wants to use a single head dosing pump.

I make an all in one solution with potassium sorbate and citric acid. I know others use ascorbic acid or vinegar. There is no precipitation that I can see or unexpected plant deficiencies, so I guess it works.

Mainly because I work odd shifts away from home a lot for four day stretches. I have one dosing pump and my tap water already contains a reasonable amount of phosphate so I would just let the dosing pump add the rest.

I'll probably just give it a try.
For the last two weeks I've front loaded the macros (with dry dosing) as per another thread on here and just dosed micros daily. I'm seeing quite good growth with this approach.

It is just to acidify the solution, it could be any acid.
I would warn against acidifying of the chelated elements. The practical stability of the majority of chelates start from PH>4. For lower PH, the chelated metals exist in ionic form which is very fragile when added to a relatively high PH aquarium water (but it will work fine for soils though).
Ascorbic acid also has another property: it can restore Fe(3+) to Fe(2+) and many chelates are less stable with Fe(2+). I have observed perciptation when I mixed FeDTPA with ascorbic acid, so I would not recommend to add any acidifiers, especially ascorbic acid, as pure FeDTPA has quite a low PH in aqueous solution. The only exception is if you mix your fertiliser using highly alkaline buffered water. But even in this case it is beter to use RO/rain/long-boiled water for fertilisers.

Back