• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can I revert to dry start ?

PaulLB

My cherry shrimp bowl has started getting algae after I rather overzealously transferred a large number of shrimps to my new Dutch style 45L.

I’ve now transferred the rest of the shrimps to the 45L and drained the bowl in the hope that going back to “dry start” might reinvigorate the carpet plants and get rid of the algae. Plants are Monte Carlo and Dwarf Hair grass.

Will this work?

BC6F144C-D145-4FD6-978E-9E44BF4CD0AF.jpeg

Last edited:
9AFD59DA-626F-466D-B179-90217B78D523.jpeg

For some strange reason it reminds me of the magic faraway tree. I can almost hear the saucepan man, moonface, silky and the angry pixie shouting duck as dame washalot throws her dirty wash water down the the tree.

That must be the “mushroom land” at the top of the tree, I can just make out a small ladder to climb up into it, must get back before it spins away…….hang on ….perhaps I shouldn’t have eaten those mushrooms.

Monte Carlo is an exceptional plant, it does well in low tech, high tech, grown as an epiphyte, as well as adapting easily between emersed/submersed. A favourite!

Monte Carlo is an exceptional plant, it does well in low tech, high tech, grown as an epiphyte, as well as adapting easily between emersed/submersed. A favourite!
Yes it’s a super plant. Although it was struggling against algae in my shrimp bowl without CO2. It’s now thriving again I’ve removed all the water, I’m debating if I actually fill it again or not. I can’t see it remaining so vibrant without CO2.
AF534080-739F-4347-B753-BF1A960A49D6.jpeg

In my Dutch style nano that has CO2 (and an army of cherry shrimps) it grows like wildfire and is a vivid green.

I can throughly recommend reverting to dry start if you have carpet plants than are being overrun by algae. My Monte Carlo carpet has recovered really well in this bowl.

28246211-9750-4D98-9C83-CC273872C2E9.jpeg

Back