• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can i use that uv-c light to stop green water ?

eminor

Hello, is there a risk for my shrimps and fish with that kind of uv-c light ? thx

51xZdWLWknL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

I suspect if a fish or shrimp was right next to the uvc it could be dangerous. It would be more effective, safer, if you used an inline UV steriliser or there are many small internal filters with integral uvc. A lamp in the aquarium would probably not be as effective, unless flow is correct.

Filter with UV

Last edited:
I suspect if a fish or shrimp was right next to the uvc it could be dangerous.
Hi @eminor and @noodlesuk

And, not only fish or shrimp. If the lamp was used as shown in the illustration above, it would be downright dangerous to we humans. UV-C light is damaging to the eyes. I suspect the picture in the OP's post is - as I said - purely for illustration. Perhaps the OP could let us have the manufacturer's name and product model number. And, a link to the relevant website would be very helpful.

JPC

Hi @eminor and @noodlesuk

And, not only fish or shrimp. If the lamp was used as shown in the illustration above, it would be downright dangerous to we humans. UV-C light is damaging to the eyes. I suspect the picture in the OP's post is - as I said - purely for illustration. Perhaps the OP could let us have the manufacturer's name and product model number. And, a link to the relevant website would be very helpful.

JPC
over here :) uvc

Hi @eminor

The link you have provided shows a product that appears to be identical to the one referenced by @noodlesuk. The only difference is the brand name, as far as I can see. Both products should be fine with shrimps and fish. There's no reason to think otherwise.

Bon soir :)

JPC

Are you sure because to me it's not the same, this is the product i'm talking about, it seems to cover 180°, if a fish go on the other side he's dead right ?

Sans titre.png

Hi @eminor

On the page to which you linked from post #4 above, there are no products bearing the name NeverElse. I am thus unable to comment further.

Sorry about that.

JPC

The link works fine for me. If you scroll down the page you see some diagrams of usage scenarios, like in a sump and in a "backside filter", where it would be away from the fishes and anyone's eyes. The picture of it in an aquarium is indeed scary.

Also, bear in mind that since covid there have been a lot of fake UV sterilizers about that are not really UVC.

Hi Everyone,

In post #1 above (i.e. the original post in this thread), the attached image below is what I'm seeing:

Are others seeing something different?

JPC

Attachments

• 1616009785151.png
    1616009785151.png
    710.2 KB · Views: 111
Hi Everyone,

In post #1 above (i.e. the original post in this thread), the attached image below is what I'm seeing:

Are others seeing something different?

JPC
If you open in the Ali express app, it shows generic uvc products, a big list. If you open the link in chrome, it goes to a page just with that product on (as in the picture from OP). For me anyway. Also depends on regions, as to what it shows in the app.

Screenshot_2021-03-17-19-48-55-93.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Please excuse me. I'm going round in circles here and it's doing my head in.

I'll take a break soon.

JPC

That's what I see in the post. On the linked page there are more pics, including the one in post 6. The unit seems to sit in the tank, with the curved shield in front to stop the UV shining forward.

Hi @noodlesuk

Thanks for that. I began to suspect that what I was seeing was different from that being seen by others. So, @eminor, please ignore everything I've said in this thread. We may have been talking about different things all along!

JPC

Hello, is there a risk for my shrimps and fish with that kind of uv-c light ? thx
If you scroll down the page it gives you the warnings. No 3)
Screenshot_20210317-203156_AliExpress.jpg

Even with the cover on i wouldn't be putting it in the tank with livestock.

A UV works by causing green water algae particles to clump together whence the particles become big enough to be trapped by the filter. For this reason, it's best to use a dedicated product that is fitted inline on the inlet pipe of the filter. If exposed to continuous uvc there is a risk of blindness and cancer.

Back