• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can I use this stone?

Mark Green

Hi,

I found this rock near where i live and was interested in knowing if i could use this in my aquarium....

DSC_0267.jpg
DSC_0268.jpg
DSC_0269.jpg
DSC_0270.jpg

when cleaning its a little flaky and a fine dust comes from parts of the stone/slate. Also it has some of this attatched..

DSC_0271_1.jpg
DSC_0277.jpg

tested with vinegar and it seems ok.

Any ideas on ID would really help..

Thx

Hi all,
I found this rock near where i live and was interested in knowing if i could use this in my aquarium.... when cleaning its a little flaky and a fine dust comes from parts of the stone/slate. Also it has some of this attatched..
DSC_0277.jpg

tested with vinegar and it seems ok
It should be fine, the white rock band is probably <"quartz">, even if the rock was originally limestone (it might be, but probably wasn't) the quartz indicates that it has been buried deep in the earth and subjected to enormous heat and pressure which will have "annealed" it.

Metamorphic rocks will usually be OK, just because heat and pressure make them really hard.

cheers Darrel

Just a question Darrel when getting sourced rocks,local stream etc,the vinegar test fine, but is there any way to indicate or a test for metal?I have read about "liney"rock probably has metal in it but I seen fabulous scapes with lined rock.

Hi all,
Just a question Darrel when getting sourced rocks,local stream etc,the vinegar test fine, but is there any way to indicate or a test for metal?I have read about "liney"rock probably has metal in it but I seen fabulous scapes with lined rock.
Yes, you can get <"deposition of metals"> in rocks where quartz has been intruded.

I wouldn't use rock that had obvious iron pyrite deposits, or came from a known "hard rock" mine spoil heap, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much.

All sorts of rocks can be banded, but very, very few of them will contain measurable amounts of metals.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It should be fine, the white rock band is probably <"quartz">, even if the rock was originally limestone (it might be, but probably wasn't) the quartz indicates that it has been buried deep in the earth and subjected to enormous heat and pressure which will have "annealed" it.

Metamorphic rocks will usually be OK, just because heat and pressure make them really hard.

cheers Darrel

Thx for the reply Darrel, I was going to use in my next scape however after reading your other post about you would not use it if it came from a known "hard rock" mine spoil heap. Well as it happens I did get it from a mine spoil heap, not sure what they're mining. So not sure now....

Cheers

Mark

Hi all,
Mark where do you live? That would give us a bit of an idea of what they were mining.

The problem wouldn't come so much from any lead, copper or zinc (or the rocks wouldn't be on the spoil heap), but potentially from associated arsenic etc.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Mark where do you live? That would give us a bit of an idea of what they were mining.

The problem wouldn't come so much from any lead, copper or zinc (or the rocks wouldn't be on the spoil heap), but potentially from associated arsenic etc.

cheers Darrel

I live in Israel near the sea of galilee tiberias. I think until I found out whay they are mining I won't be using in the tank. Trying to find out what they mine may take some time as my hebrew skills are not so good.

Thx again

Mark

Back