• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can I use twinstar II 900EA in a covered/Lid aquarium

Nelson Marto

HI, all,
Can I use twinstar II 900EA in a covered/Lid aquarium?
I have this light in open tank, but I intent to buy a new aquarium closed, or buy a new one and build a Lid for it.
My question is twinstar able to handle the humidity inside the lid?

thank you all.

ps: a lot humidity in my home

Certainly not technically minded with lights but think miranda is correct. If you want to put a light under a lid you really want it to be ip67 rated, this will stop the humidity or water ingressing inside the fixture, which other than the obvious saftey issues will help protect the led chips inside.

To the best of my knowledge twinstar lights don't carry that ip rating.

Dont know enough about the light but would not risk it. A few years back my arcadia pod light fell in the tank while l doing work on it Stupidly l put my hand in and fished it out more worried about damage to the light. Lucky it was ip67 rated l realised later a lot of pod lights are not. Cant be to careful with leccy I think its not cheap theTwinstar

Just for clarification on IP codes.
1627633082364.png

Hello everyone,

I was going to start a new topic, but I guess this kinda fits :)

I have an aquarium that is built into the closet (you can see in the photos). The cover is self-made, old, it has built-in T8 and T5 lamps. I would like to change the lighting to LED. I am afraid that an open aquarium will give a lot of moisture. Is there any option except an LED tube? Maybe covering the aquarium with glass?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 136
Hello everyone,

I was going to start a new topic, but I guess this kinda fits :)

I have an aquarium that is built into the closet (you can see in the photos). The cover is self-made, old, it has built-in T8 and T5 lamps. I would like to change the lighting to LED. I am afraid that an open aquarium will give a lot of moisture. Is there any option except an LED tube? Maybe covering the aquarium with glass?
Hello,
What light did you choose?
I need help to select some lights that can be fitted inside an aquarium lid, but some not very expensive. For open aquarium have the twinstar, and for other i have cheap one. And is good enough for plants.

Hi There. I’ve struggled - alot- with the same issue for a lidded tank. The Fluval Plant 3’s are IP67 rated but might not be what you would consider cheap. Lots of functionality and control options pushes the price up. Not being able to raise the lights much due to the lid also limits spread front to back, although these lights are supposed to be a 120 degree angle so perhaps better than some. Quite a lot of the cheaper lights have lower IP ratings which I wouldn’t want to risk (cheap is not cheap if you have to throw them out 6 months on) but you might be able to find a ‘switch on/switch off’ light at a lower price if you do a bit of research….or maybe quite alot of research…and some of those you should still be able to add a dimmer for more controllability. The one thing I can’t tell you personally is how effective the Fluvals are. Mine have not arrived yet!

Thanks for the reply.
I think I have to by always 2 lights because my aquarium is 60cm front to back,60 top to bottom, and front 1m.
If I look the aquarium set from eheim empiria 330 (same dimensions as mine), they also have 2 lights inside, also with IP68, but arround 200€ each.
That's why it becomes expensive to buy good brand lights.

Give us you feedback on the fluval 3.0.

Hi Ya. Half the price of a similar size Fluval P3 so that’s a good selling point. Slightly less PAR but that’s not always a bad thing and IP rating is good. The controller, for an extra £30 ish, does a basic on/off and ramp up/ramp down but doesn’t allow dimming during use so personally I would still want that dimming capability. Not finding too many reviews from the planted community but there a few positive ones out there so, with a dimmer, it could be a good budget option. Unfortunately, you are right, this can be an expensive hobby.

Back