• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can liquid carbon replace CO2?

Keithoms

My only means of CO2 for my new tank and for my glosso would be a DIY fermentation CO2 system. Would a liquid based CO2 additive such as Seachem Excel be any better?

It depends on how good your flow is, how large the tank is, how much lighting you have etc. Give us some more details. ;)

Hi keithoms
Could also be expensive compared to pressurised CO2 if your tank is large.
Also, some DIY CO2 kits can become very unstable towards the end of their useful life and therefore cause you unnecessary grief with certain types of algae if you don't keep on top of it.

Superman said:
I've had vastly improved plant growth and plant health since using pressurised CO2.
I'll certainly agree with that statement, I've had the same experience recently :D .

Chris

In some cases - yes.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... blogid=234

Liquid carbon products are very economical in smaller aquaria, and in the recommended doses, potentially safer. CO2 probably kills more fish than anything else in the planted tank.

However, as mentioned, CO2 gas is the quickest way to grow healthy plants, as long as all your other parameters are ideal. CO2 gas is also essential if you have higher lighting levels, along with regular macro and micronutrient supplementation.

Back