• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Can shrimps damage plants?

_Maq_

I've got little experience with shrimps. Amano shrimps (Caridina) once destroyed my Bacopa myriophylloides. Does that happen regularly? Or could I prevent it with better feeding, or perhaps choosing another species?
And another question: Do the shrimps tolerate temperature falling to 16 to 17 °C during winter?

palcente

If they misbehave, just throw them some frozen green peas or some nettles - they love nettles. They should stop nibbling on the plants. Amano will eat healthy plants if they are hungry and especially when berried, but it won't be their first choice. W/R to temps, I kept them without heater as low as 19 and as high as 29 in the summer, they bred in both temperatures, but grow way slower in lower temps.

Shrimp

Last edited:

Wookii

Will this be for one of your low TDS tanks, or are you raising GH to suit the shrimp?

Shrimp generally need around 5GH to ensuring there is sufficient calcium in the water column for carapace generation and moulting. Low TDS water rules out most shrimp - the only ones I've heard do well in low TDS water are Tangerine Tigers which are a wild type Caradina. Other Caridina (including Amanos) and Neocaridina likely won't do too well with low water column calcium levels.

In terms of temperature, Caridina tend to like it warmer - around 20 degrees and above so might not do too well with the temperature drop you're proposing. Neocaridina however should be fine in the temperatures you mention.

Also bear in mind that Amanos won't produce offspring in fresh water, where as most other shrimp types do. I prefer to keep shrimp that can sustain their own population, and don't see Amanos as a good value proposition.

In terms of plant eating, Amanos can tend to take a liking to certain plants if other food is scarce, but they seem to be alone in that trait in my experience - other Caridina and Neocaridina shrimp don’t tend to eat plants as far as I've seen.

_Maq_

Shrimp generally need around 5GH to ensuring there is sufficient calcium in the water column
That's worrying me. Yet I've read an opinion that it's not the water parameters but shrimps' food which should be rich in calcium. What do you think about that?
Would you suggest shrimps which are more tolerant to soft water?

Wookii

That's worrying me. Yet I've read an opinion that it's not the water parameters but shrimps' food which should be rich in calcium. What do you think about that?
Would you suggest shrimps which are more tolerant to soft water?

You can supplement them with foods that contain higher calcium levels like mulberry and nettle leaves or manufactured calcium enriched shrimp foods, but you are walking a finer line if the water column is low in calcium, and are relying on them eating the food you are adding. If they for whatever reason don't get enough calcium, then they can die mid-moult.

I would recommend you look at Tangerine tigers. I bought some recently specifically because @Conort2 highlighted that his were breeding well in his very low TDS blackwater tank (TDS 40-50), and I myself want to get the TDS of my main tank lower but still maintain a shrimp population. I'm keeping some new juveniles in a quarantine tank that is low TDS (0 KH / 3 GH) and they seem to be growing well so far.

You may just need to add a heater of some sort for the winter.

Last edited:

plantnoobdude

You can supplement them with foods that contain higher calcium levels like mulberry and nettle leaves or manufactured calcium enriched shrimp foods, but you are walking a finer line if the water column is low in calcium, and are relying on them eating the food you are adding. If they for whatever reason don't get enough calcium, then they can die mid-moult.

I would recommend you look at Tangerine tigers. I bought some recently specifically because @Conort2 highlighted that his were breeding well in his very low TDS blackwater tank (TDS 40-50), and I myself want to get the TDS of my main tank lower but still maintain a shrimp population. I'm keeping some new juveniles in a quarantine tank that is low TDS (0 KH / 3 GH) and they seem to be growing well so far.

You may just need to add a heater of some sort for the winter.
Ooh, I’m interested in maintaining low tds and keeping shrimp!! In the past I had caridina shrimp but those didn’t fair so well even with a gh of 4.
I am considering tangerine tigers. Seem pretty affordable as well?

Jaseon

People starve their shrimp thinking the biofilm is enough. Increased numbers puts a strain on available food...feed them.