• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can some one translate this for me please. all chemical wotn

GreenNeedle

Anglian water says that the drinking tap water contains:

13mg/l Nitrate
601µg/l P/l phosphorus
3.45mg/l Potassium

Now I assume the nitrate is 13ppm? Tell me if I am wrong.

What on earth does the Phophorus one mean? is it 0.6ppm?

Many thanks in advance. I am just working out how much is being added from my 1 litre a day top ups on top of zero water changes.

AC

Re: Can some one translate this for me please. all chemical

so in the case where we dose ppm of phosphate what does that translate into or are we looking for phosphorus ppms out of the phospahate. Sorry to sound like a newbie but I've never really taken any interest before. lol

AC

Andy,
It depends on who is doing the calculation and what frame of reference is being used. For our purposes, we don't bother to calculate the N due to NO3 (displayed as N-NO3) or the P due to Phosphate (P-PO4). We just use the NO3/PO4 concentrations and call it good.

Sometimes, biologists or chemists want to know the N contribution of NO3 because perhaps there are other sources of N in the sample being measured such as NH4, so they need to know the amount of N being contributed by the NO3 alone versus the N being contributed by the NH4.

This is just a simple calculation since the N is only 23% by weight of NO3. There are 3 Oxygen atoms for every Nitrogen in this ion. So Oxygen is 77% by weight. So if you see a number like 10ppm N-NO3 then 10ppm is only the Nitrogen concentration and is 23% of the total NO3 concentration. To find how much NO3 concentration was responsible for 10ppm of N you would do the following calculation:

10ppmN = 0.23*(NO3) =>
Divide by 0.23 to isolate NO3 => NO3=10ppmN/0.23 =>
NO3=43.5ppm

So it takes 43.5ppm of Nitrate to generate 10ppm of N from that Nitrate.

Instead of doing algebra every time, 1/0.23 (or punch this in on your calculator to get 4.35) becomes the conversion factor to change N-NO3ppm to simple NO3ppm, and conversely, multiply the NO3ppm by 0.23 to figure out how much Nppm there is.

You can do a similar computation with P-PO4 knowing that P is about 33% by weight of the PO4 molecule. So without slogging through the algebra again you can guess that the conversion factor is gonna be 1/0.33 or 3.0 depending on which direction you want to convert.

Again, since we dose the molecules NO3/PO4 and then let the plant figure out the algebra, we really don't care about N-NO3 or P-PO4 - but we can always figure it out if we need to.

Hope this helps. :geek:

Cheers,

just what i was thinking Clive :D just didn't know how to express it in words. well done. :lol:

Clive mate, incredible knowledge...The mod who makes a difference!

indeed. thanks very much Clive.

It isn't that I am trying to work anything out for a valid reason or to use the figures.

I was just wondering because I don't do water changes anymore but do top up the water every day, so I add about 1% of the tank water daily and therefore some goodies with it. I then add 1.5ml of my macro mix (from EI previous) whenever I see green spots start to form on anubias so we are talking every 3-6 weeks.

Just wondering how much I am 'dosing' even though it is such a tiny figure :)

Thanks for the info

Regards
AC

Back