• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can you dose CO2 into a filter for ultimate absorbtion?

Animal Mother

I'll be running two external filters in my new setup, a Fluval 405 and a 205.

I was wondering wether it would be good to diffuse CO2 into the inlet of the 205 (my secondary filter) to try and get 100% absorbtion of the CO2.

The affect on the cultures in the filter doesn't bother me as I'll have my 405 to handle the majority of filtration.

Cheers. ;)

Adding the CO2 to the filter inlet does ensure good absorbtion and It does not seem to affect filter bacteria.
However the effect of the CO2 on the impellor and filter's seals can be very detrimental, and some filter manufacturers do not garantee their products under these conditions.

Cheers,
James

You might also get a build-up of undissolved CO2 which gets expelled occasionally. It's no necessarily bad, but can be noisy. A bit like the air coming out when you prime the filter.

Voo said:
You might also get a build-up of undissolved CO2 which gets expelled occasionally. It's no necessarily bad, but can be noisy. A bit like the air coming out when you prime the filter.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

Seeing as CO2 has no detrimental effect on bacterial colonies, shall I dose BOTH external filters then so that I get CO2 rich water flowing over both sides of the tank?

Back