• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can you glue pennywort

tiger15

I have a Brazilian pennywort I want to secure to a submerged lucky bamboo stem where the leaves are above water. I planted both the pennywort and the bamboo in a pot to encourage the pennywort to vine up the bamboo stem simulating a tree. But the pennywort does not root strongly and come off frequently. Just wonder if I can secure the pennywort to the bamboo with super glue.

I don’t like the look of the tywraps to stand out. I want to expose the bamboo stem texture to the maximum and hide the glue behind the stem. Just wonder if it will stick.

I have glued Hydrocotyle tripartita Mini to wood without any problems so i don't see why not.

yPjDDTP.jpg

Brazilian pennywort

Hydrocotyle leucocephala, grows quite fast and tall and can develop rather long internodes creeping around also known as Brazilian Ivy. Submersed it grows a tad larger leaves than in its emersed form. It can not realy be realisticaly compaired to its dwarf cousin H. tripartita that grows much more compact in a whorling fasion. Same as the H. verticillata - Whorled pennywort.

In the end you can glue anything to the rocks or wood ofcourse at the stems or roots the plant doesn't care much for it. Superglue is inert and harmless and sticks like a champ. In a way i can't imagine it very practical for a plant like Brazilian pennywort and the non whorling and creeping fasion it likes to grow.

In some cases tying it can be a beter practical option to lead it around the place. To do this as less intrusive as possible i found Army Green and very thin 0.04mm or 0.06mm braided Dynema (fishing) line the best option. Its a very strong and smooth line, easy to tie because a simple knot will easily slip tight. And because its green its nearly indistinguishable from plant parts and because its a braided line mosses and or aufwuchs will attach to it masking it even more. :) And it will never ever rot away and stay in place for ever.

In some cases superglue comes/falls off after a while..

In some cases superglue comes/falls off after a while.
Yes that would be one the downside of superglue. The white color after being submersed is also unsightly. That's the thing I hate the most about superglue. I noticed that mixing superglue with some rough paper napkin or floss usually makes the bond last longer due to the increased surface area.

Back