• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can you keep cherries and amanos in hardwater

Krishs Bettas

Every time i buy they all seem to die in a day. But know i am thinking its my pipes where the water comes from.
Can lead harm shrimp.

I would assume lead isn't good, but copper is the worst. Do you use hot water from the hot tap when water changing? If your hot water system is quite old, this might not be helping.

I have problems with shrimp as well, but I've just moved so I'm hoping I'll have more success. Also, on the hard water front, LondonDragon keeps shrimp very successfully, and living in London you could argue his water is rock solid!

Cherries and Amano aren't too fussy over hardwater. In Winchester the water is PH 8/8.5 and GH 14 so I use a 50:50 mix with RO resulting in a perfect PH7 GH 7 for my Crystal Reds. Just an option you could try out. I also don't use water from the hot tap as it would have been sat around in the copper boiler and make sure I use the correct amount of Nutrafin Aqua Plus conditioner as its meant to 'neutralise heavy metals'. I'm guessing it all helps.

I dont use the hot water tap and i also have very harwater.
Do you think if I add JBL Biotopol C will make the lead go away?

SteveUK said:
Also, on the hard water front, LondonDragon keeps shrimp very successfully, and living in London you could argue his water is rock solid!
I have been filling the tank straight from the tap for the last 2 years and also mix hot water from the tap without any issues so far, cherries breeding like mad and the Crystals are also breeding now.

LondonDragon said:
...and also mix hot water from the tap without any issues so far, cherries breeding like mad and the Crystals are also breeding now.
maybe I'm being paranoid, I think I'll give it a go!

NeilW said:
maybe I'm being paranoid, I think I'll give it a go!
Or I just been lucky with my system and plumbing, taking precautions is never a bad thing ;)

LondonDragon said:
Or I just been lucky with my system and plumbing, taking precautions is never a bad thing ;)

I think your right, I was just going to be lazy, its not really an issue where I only change 4litres in a go :lol:

Back