can you keep plants overnight

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Nick16, 19 Jan 2009.

1. Nick16

Nick16 Member

hi, if i recieved an order of plants on a thurs or fri, can i store them untill the weekend before planting them, if so how do i do it? in a bucket or what? or is it not possible.
    if there is a way how many days will they be fine for?

2. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

I would say they would be fine in a bucket overnight, although I would be a bit reluctant to keep them in there any longer. They probably would be fine though - if you did want to keep them in there longer then do a water change each day and maybe add a small amount of ferts or something, but even so I wouldn't keep them in there for long.

3. Nick16

Nick16 Member

ok thanks, i might just plant them the night i get them. but i will have to strip down the tank soon then. fun fun :lol:

4. hellohefalump

hellohefalump Member

can you float them in the tank? because then they'd get the benefit of the moving water and the light.

5. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi,i float mine in the tank for up to a week some times and i find the plants adapt a lot better,regards john

6. Voo

Voo Member

I keep spare plants in a tub, light is only provided from the window nearby, water isnt heated and no ferts added. Just a simple bucket with water.

I've had moss and plants in there for months. I dont see why you can't do that for new plants too. Floating in your tank may be a better option for them though.

7. Superman

Superman Member

I have a bucket which houses spare plants that I intend to use in the future. It's just left in my dining room near the window. Doesn't seem to do any harm. But then its not HC that I'm keeping in there!

8. Nick16

Nick16 Member

well if i put them in the tank, surely they will block out all the light for the other plants? i have an empty 4 footer, hmm, a bit of water in there, turn on the t8s, a small fluval 1+ to provide some movement, will that work ok?

9. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

* yup, should do