• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can you over filter the water?

ForestDave

Hi.
I see that filtering your tanks water volume 10 times per hour is often recommended for a planted tank. The tank I am setting up is 200L so I was thinking of using a Fluval FX4. That circulates 2650L of water per hour. I just wanted to make sure that this wouldn't be over doing the filtering? I was going to fit a spray bar to the outflow so the plants don't get too smashed about.
Any advice much appreciated!!
Thanks
Dave

The 10X water volume is related to the amount of flow, rather than filtering per se, so you could achieve this by using a power head instead. As far as I know, its not possible to over filter the water.

I don't see an issue with that. Sometimes the flow rates are optimistic and when you factor in flow reduction due to filter media and pipework, you will probably be on the money.
It's only a rough rule of thumb and many people feel they need more flow so add a powerhead anyway. In a heavily planted tank your plants will do most of the filtering for you.

Overdoing filtering isn't relevant you actually can't... Overdoing flow could be an issue... But 10 times turnover is a hight tech goal for most...

Back