• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Canister for a 60x35x35 planted tank

JackMartins

Good morning all! How are you today?
I would like a suggestion on filtration perspective for the tank I´m planning.

It will be a planted tank 60x35x35cm(~73.5L / ~19.3 Gallons), running CO2, high LED lighting, ADA substrate and liquid fertilization. Which Canister would be the best cost benefit? I was thinking in an Eheim due the tradition of the brand. Maybe the Classic 250. Is this enough? Or should I go to the Classic 350?

Any other Canister suggestion? Other brand?

I live in Brazil, but I have a friend of mine flying to USA early September and he would bring me. May I also ask, where is the best place to buy online? Amazon? Any online store? Here in Brazil those filter are quite expensive!

Thanks,
JackMartins.

Hi jack I have a tank with all the same parameters, size, co2, led, ada and classic 250. Now I regret for going lean on flow rate...

Mine is fully planted tank with 3 german blue rams, 6 cardinals and 3 ottos. I tried with rain bar with out rain bar and lily pipe still I cant remove all the dead spots.

If your budget permit, go for 1050lph or 1250lph,

I have braces on both sides limiting my experimentation on placing outlet, hope you dont have this problem...

The more the better....classic 250 is a no no if you plan to have stem plants everywhere...

Supplied rainbar sucks, we have to diy....

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

One more thing, dont add fish until you make sure your ammonia etc readings are at acceptable range, ada soil is the killer with nutrients.... I lost 4 cardinals when I added one month later, guppies did well with cycling, no signs of stress or any thing. Good luck.

Hi Madhav!
Appreciate your support and valuable comment!

I´m planning a dense planted tank(nothing dutch, but carpet, mid and back plants).
Do you believe, even the Classic 350 will not be enough? It runs 620lph. :( I´m afraid that anything bigger than this, my friend will not be able to carry for me from USA to Brazil.

Hmm, regarding the cycling time, I´m planning to add fishes only after 60~90 days, depending on the parameters of the water. But for sure, nothing before 60 days.

Any other brand suggestion?

Thanks,
Jack.

Hi Madhav!
Appreciate your support and valuable comment!

I´m planning a dense planted tank(nothing dutch, but carpet, mid and back plants).
Do you believe, even the Classic 350 will not be enough? It runs 620lph. :( I´m afraid that anything bigger than this, my friend will not be able to carry for me from USA to Brazil.

Hmm, regarding the cycling time, I´m planning to add fishes only after 60~90 days, depending on the parameters of the water. But for sure, nothing before 60 days.

Any other brand suggestion?

Thanks,
Jack.
I am in love with Eheim, I never tried other brands, so I cant help much on alternative, but if you are planning a dense planted with full inch per gallon or more live stock, I suggest you go for atleast 1000 lph, we can some how play with higher flow rates than battling with algae at dead spots. I gained this knowledge here only, and saw very good results when I increased the flow rate on my 5ft tank,

I started with 1050 lph on my 5ft tank and now ended up with one 2075,1250 lph, one 2080, 1700 lph and one 2000 lph wave maker. Now only I am able to see all the plants swaying gently

My suggestion, go for atleast 1000 lph, lets see what expers have to say

Thanks Madhav.
Just read in another topic (kind of old-2012) that a guy with similar spec than mine consider the Classic 600 - 2217 over necessity. Hahaha!

On the other hand, I agree with you.
Better some excess(if real) instead of lack of circulation/oxygenation; Thanks you!

Let´s wait some other reply to see more feedback regarding it!
Thanks,
Jack.

Thanks Madhav.
Just read in another topic (kind of old-2012) that a guy with similar spec than mine consider the Classic 600 - 2217 over necessity. Hahaha!

On the other hand, I agree with you.
Better some excess(if real) instead of lack of circulation/oxygenation; Thanks you!

Let´s wait some other reply to see more feedback regarding it!
Thanks,
Jack.
Though it looks obvious, but its not actually. I am considering a pro3 2071 or 2073 if all my efforts fail.
Here I can get used filters fairly cheap and just need to change media so I m planning to get an used pro 3 at classic 250 brand new pricing.

If you use spray bar, dont use the one supplied with filter, DIY yours for entire length of the tank. It saves lot of your time down the line.

If possible, go and visit any of your friends similar filter to see the flow rate then you will realize,

Hi Madhav!

Yes, I´m pretty sure that I will go with the Classic 600 (1000lph). Probably it will be enough.
Found at amazon around 139 usd. Cheapest I could find.

Initially I´m planning to use the Canister Kit(spray bar) and them move to glass lily pipe.
Any suggestion on pipes?

Hi Madhav!

Yes, I´m pretty sure that I will go with the Classic 600 (1000lph). Probably it will be enough.
Found at amazon around 139 usd. Cheapest I could find.

Initially I´m planning to use the Canister Kit(spray bar) and them move to glass lily pipe.
Any suggestion on pipes?
Good to know you made your mind to go for 1000lph, if you feel its too much, there are many ways to reduce but not vice versa.

Watch out for braces on your tank, if you have braces, lily pipes are not the best option, your positioning will be limited. And the flow is too gentle to have all the plants swaying. You often notice two lily pipe outlets on either side of 2ft tanks in some youtube videos.

For single filter, I suggest spray bar, full length. A DIY required here. Supplied spray bar is good for fish tank with low tech plants I guess.

If I am back home early I will shoot a short clip and show you how is the flow and where are the dead spots.

Btw, what are the fish you are planning?

b0736150213010b730ebbb7f1b62d767.jpg

This gives you an idea on how I am forced to use my lily outlet, you can see braces on both sides

Hi Madhav,
Yes, I´m going with the 1Klph! You convinced me! Haha
No, I´m not going to have any braces into my tank. It will be 8mm.

Not planning many fishes.
Probably some small Tetras/Rasboras (10 fishes more/less)

Thanks for the image! Braces for sure are an embarrassment.
Was the image supposed to be a video? :)

Back