Canister vs Sump

Dieni

Hello, I am currently planning a new planted tank setup after having stopped fishkeeping 10 years ago and need some advice on filtration.

My tank measurements are 150cm x 60cm x 60cm, taking into account the substrate and rocks/wood decor I can assume there will be around 450l of water.

From my previous setup I have 2x Eheim 2026 canister filters, specs below.

Technical Data Eheim Pro II 2026
Aquarium size up to approx - 350l
Pump output approx I/h - 950
Del.head approx Hmax - 2,0m
Power consumption - 20W
Canister volume - 9l

The aquarium I got has the bottom drilled for a sump, but I really don't like to have the overflow box showing in the corner of the tank. So if I go sump wise, I will seal the bottom hole and I will have to look into a external overflow box, unless I am convinced otherwise. With the aquarium I also got a Jebo GF3300A sump filter which has a 4000l/h pump and measures 41cm x 49cm x 47cm height (pic attached)

Could you please advise if the sump is too much hassle? Or if my 2 eheim filters will cope with the fish and plant load etc..?

Damian

Attachments

Edvet

Global Moderator
Staff member
In a planted tank a sump can work but is absolutely not needed.
High fish densities and low plant densities will favor the sump.
A sump will give added watervolume and a place to hide hardware, a sump can reduce the amount of CO2 and can make keeping CO2 high more difficult.
In a CO2 enriched tank the amount of flow generally advised is 10 times the tank volume, so just the two canisters won't cut it.
So: what are your plans for the tank?

Dieni

Thanks for the reply. I don't have anything set in stone yet, but I was thinking of a low to medium light tank with CO2. Fish wise, I will most likely go with Discus again.

In my previous tank, I used to run a couple of small powerheads to increase the flow plus the 2 eheims...

As you said, I like the idea of the sump for the added volume and the easy cleaning of media and easy water changes but I am concerned about the problems an external overflow box might create.

Kezzab

In my own experience if you are using co2 and sump be prepared (and have costed for) going through it at quite a fast rate.

But a sump does give a lot of scope to hide equipment, add emergent plants, manage water changed etc etc.

Edvet

Global Moderator
Staff member
Low to medium light doesn't shout CO2.
I ran my 400 gallon in lower light with 24/7 low dose CO2 with succes, i did use a sump (seeing the tank was build for discus).
So i had the benefits of some CO2 which helped growth. ( see tank in signature)
(never used CO2 with the discus, didn't know about it that time)

Dieni

Thinking about it, 2 canister filters might be better for my needs, knowing that I need to connect somehow my Aquamedic 1000 CO2 reactor and my Eheim UV 800 steriliser(need to check flow rates etc.. thou) .. Moreover I will have the added benefit of cleaning each filter on different intervals.

Will check some reviews for some new filters..

Best to check but I would have thought those two Eheims would carry enough media to deal with a tank that size? As suggested though adding another pump purely for water flow may be a good idea. I’ve always liked Eheim stuff, quality equipment.

Dieni

Well each of the Eheims could handle a 350l tank, so together, they should be of for this aquarium.

I have just checked the max flow needed for the Eheim 800 UV steriliser and the max suggested is 1200l/h. My current CO2 reactor needs a flow of between 1000l/h upto 2000l/h.

So maybe I will use 1 of my current eheims and connect the UV to it, and get a new and more powerful filter to connect the CO2 reactor in line. The rest of the flow I will manage with small flow pumps...

Btw, nice tank Zeus.

Dieni

Managed to get hold of an Eheim 2275 which has a max flow of 1250l/h. So in the end I will end up with the below.

Eheim 2026 with Eheim UV800 inline (950l/h)
Eheim 2275 with Aquamedic 1000 CO2 reactor inline (1250l/h)
2x Hydor Koralia nano 900 for added flow (900l/h x2)

Together I should have enough filtration and enough flow for the tank...

Thanks for your assistance, now need to sort out the lighting