• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cannbalistic shrimp-any advice in preventing?

OhKay13

Seedling
Hey all. Came down this morning to check on my shrimp tank and the whole family were eating a shrimp. It looked like maybe they caught it as it was trying to molt. There was half a molt off to the side. As soon as I saw it I pulled out the dead shrimp and I’m going to put in a boiled carrot to maybe satisfy their hunger. Any advice for preventing this? Or is this a norm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. They are golden Neos. I don’t know if it was alive or dead when they started eating it. By the time I found it it was already half way eaten.

Still the same will eat a dead one but not a live one. They may be cannibals but draw the line that if it moves they won’t touch it!

I just think it's the natural order of things. But supplementing their diet with shrimp pellets, algae wafers, blanched vegetables like zucchini and carrots, etc is always a good idea.

It would’ve been dead, as mentioned they can’t overpower anything that’s moving. If any of mine die the others demolish it in no time at all. Same with if a fish pegs it, the shrimp make sure that a trace isn’t left.

cheers

Conor

Thanks all for help. This is my first shrimp set up so I really appreciate the help. Cheers.

Back