• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Canon 40D

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Does anyone have any experience with this camera, please?

I'm in the market for a new model to replace my old 10D but funds are limited to around £500, otherwise I'd likely go for a 5D.

Some reviews rate the image quality even higher than the 5D which I find hard to believe.

I like the fast burst rate as I want to get into more wildlife stuff and I can get some decent shots of the missus and kids horseriding at events etc.

The Live View may come in handy too, and I can't wait to use a 3" LCD over my poxy little one!

A couple of my mates have the 40D and they are very happy with them, photo quality is excelent but then again it all depends on which type of lenses you put in the end of it. I don't think you will be disapointed with it.

Have a look here: http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=42340 only photos taken with the 40D, you can also search on that site for specif lenses, if you want to see what people can do with them.

George Farmer said:
I like the fast burst rate as I want to get into more wildlife stuff and I can get some decent shots of the missus and kids horseriding at events etc.

Have you looked in to the FPS with a battery pack fitted, George?

I know that with my camera fitted with a battery pack and using AA batteries in it alongside the battery fitted to the camera, I get a much higher frame rate than using two camera batteries together. It may be worth looking in to.

Dave.

Thanks Joe and Dave.

I didn't realise about the increased FPS with battery pack. I think 6.3fps should be ok for now, anyway. Over twice as quick as the 10D.

Unfortunately my 10D battery grip is not compatible with the 40D.

I'm selling the 10D now to a work colleague, with Sigma my wide angle lens for a decent price... Enough for me to replace with the acclaimed Sigma 10-20mm ultra wide angle, anyway. Then my next glass investment will be the Canon 50mm f/1.4.

I'm pretty excited but will have to wait a few weeks yet. Maybe the 40D will come down in price, if I'm lucky.

Cheers.

I`m not sure why we get more FPS with a back up of AA batteries. Maybe they can supply the burst of power required by the camera at the required rate. I would imagine it would be the same for Canon users.

Mmmmm.....f 1.4. You will be amazed at the pics of your kids you can take indoors without the need for flash. F1.4 may cost you an extra £100 more or so, but for a lens you may be using for as long as you continue to take photos, the extra is well worth it. The bokeh is pretty good too.

Here is a pic of Georgia taken indoors on a gloomy Christmas morning at f1.6 and ISO 1250. If the low noise capability of the 40D is any good you can virtually kiss your tripod and flashgun goodbye. I rarely use a tripod for tank photos any more. :D

Xmas-29-Edit-2.jpg

Dave.

P.S. Georgia was devastated to find that her Peppa Pig house was actually a CO2 reactor.

Thanks, Mark and Dave.

Great shot, Dave!

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is around £220; a lot more than the f/1.8 but the build quality is far far superior. Apparently it's one of the Canon pro-users favourite lenses of all time.

The ISO handling of the 40D is on par with the 5D, so pretty good and much better than my 10D. It's no match for your Nikon D700 though... :D

George Farmer said:
Well, I decided to treat myself and splash out on the new Canon 50D.

Nice one squire! You will have to bring your tripod over to the hills of N. Wales sometime, and me, you, Stu and Graeme could go round Snowdonia some time.

Dave.

Thanks, guys. The jump from the 10D to 50D is pretty steep and I'm super excited.

And I'm getting Adobe C3 tomorrow too, so I can do some proper 16-bit RAW. I'm shooting jpegs and using Elements at the moment. :oops:

Dave Spencer said:
Nice one squire! You will have to bring your tripod over to the hills of N. Wales sometime, and me, you, Stu and Graeme could go round Snowdonia some time.

Dave.

Sounds like a plan, Dave! Cheers mate.

Hi Mark

I'm blown away by the 50D. It makes my 10D look like a toy. High ISO handling is superb and with 15MP there's loads of room for cropping etc. It's a real pleasure to use and when I figure out CS3 and RAW etc. I'm sure my photography will improve further still.

I've also treated myself to a new Sigma 17-70mm that is far sharper than my old 17-35mm and Cokin P filter system with ND 4 and 8 grads.

We had a nice sunrise in the village this morning....

IMG_0066crop.jpg

i saw the same skys this morning. nice pic mate.

you wait until you start discovering the benefits of RAW processing ;)

you got more MP than me now! :wideyed:

Liking the dramatic sky, George! It reminds me of the opening titles to Doctor Who.

Did you bracket at all, because a HDR of this could look pretty tasty? Or is it already a subtle HDR? I really must calibrate my monitor. :?

Dave.

very nice pic george and im uber jealous of your 50d! re the FPS increasing with the grip its only a nikon thing so it doesnt happen with the canon gear :(

by the way have you checked out the reviews for the Sigma 50mm f1.4? seems to be getting a bit of good press as the canon 1.4 is an old old lens (but still good)

Back